Bukowski: Born Into This (1 Viewer)

down with BONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

his lack of charisma and BAD reading(s) really makes you question the filmmakers credibility.
"Let's put BONO in and we'll get some U2 fans interested, they have money to spend!" They buy all those bad late 90's, 2000's records!
BONO sucks!
:mad: :)

Hey all,
Finally saw Born Into This two nights ago. I happened upon it at Blockbuster when I wasn't even specifically looking for it; such a fortuitous finding, I had to rent it. It did make me shake my head in disgust to notice that there was but one lonely copy, yet the store was advertising their purchase of 130 copies of some crappy comedy whose name I can't even recall now, "just for all of you!" Sheesh.
Overall thoughts: I enjoyed it, and to be honest, I did learn a few things. I never knew too much about B's later life. I think it sort of glossed over the "controversy" of whether B actually spent 10 years or whatever in a Philly bar, acting as everyone's gofer, which is both good and bad.
I like the balance they struck between sentimental poems/moments and stereotypical poems about beer shits and cheap whores. The point where B read a poem about Linda King and wept on camera was particularly poignant. I think those are the kind of poems that the general public might not find typical of B when they only know him as the "poet of the people on the street."
As for the DVD extras, I only watched the home video made by Linda Lee, which was great. It was a kind of B that I'd never really seen in the Bukowski Tapes, yet it was still the same man, and he read his poems with the same weight, emotion and magically light-hearted efficacy as ever. I did try to start watching the Bono reading and the silly thing about "blowing my hero" (I couldn't stand that lady's voice!), but didn't get very far with either of them.
So yeah, overall, good stuff. Glad I watched, and I'd surely watch it again when I get a chance. Thanks for reading.

I really really want to get my hands on "Born Into This" and "The Bukowski Tapes". I just don't want to get ripped off, hell.

Any advice... or anything i should know?

Can you name any site at all in countries around Serbia (in Europe) which delivers here and where I can order Born into this, because my country is the last hole on the Earth?

Bukowski : Born into This has now had a UK release, via Artefact Films. I have a copy here.

born_uk_dvd.jpg

There's just one disc, no booklet or anything. The disc is a dual layer DVD is coded for Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8. Appears to be a PAL disc. There are no subtitles. The aspect ratio is actually standard fullscreen 4:3, not 16:9 as per the cover. It doesn't have all of the extras that the Australian release had.

Here's a list of the extra's on this version:

1. Taylor Hackford In West (sic) Hollywood
  2. The Laughing Heart
  3. Plain Spoken Truth
  4. The Truth Is Never Ugly To God
  5. Bukowski's Influence
  6. Bukowski's Message
  7. "Roll The Dice"
  8. First And Last
  9. Bukowski's Home Video
  10. A Warm Pitcher Of Spit
  11. Bukowski's Mother
  12. The Blood Of A Coward

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why they have not included more of the extra material. Seems a bit sloppy - there's a nice new animated menu, but that has John Dullaghan spelled John Dullagahn and there's a typo on the sleeve too - Taylor Hackford spelled Talylor Hackford.

Region 1 + PAL doesn't really make much sense, since North America is NTSC. But then all the incompatible formats are dumb anyway. PAL is technically superior, but here we are with NTSC. I guess I should just be glad we're not SECAM or whatever they use in Russia.

And seven different regions for DVDs - oy. The fuckery and penistry never ends.

What a weird idea to leave out some of the extra material! Then one is better off buying the American edition and play in on a code free DVD player. And if you don't have a code free player, you can make a code free copy of the DVD on the net for free, or you can watch the American edition on your computer with the free VLC player...

Last edited by a moderator:
If yoy have a region specific dvd player it can easily be converted to an all region player. Usually all it takes is a sequence of things such as turning the dvd player on then pressing the stop button twice. Contact the manufacturer or google it. Hey presto, all region dvd player

gee, I liked the movie :)

True, not much in the "preconcieved ideas about Bono) Bashing?, hahaha! It's all good...(funny, too) Honest, 2 me what he read seemed genuine, and Since Bono (already) HAS fame...why would he sign up?? Has money, too. Just my 2 cents...

what a great picture.

Yes! I love it! God I miss this film. I used to have it on my DVR and watched it regularly, sometimes falling off to sleep to the soothing tone of Bukowski's voice. It realy holds a special place in my heart and I look forward to the day that I get to watch it again.CRB:)

It is so great! There is much Bukowski footage that I have not seen or heard. But 'Born Into This' was all it took for me.
I Love that film. CRB:)

BONO is only included because it's BONO.
Get the U2 fans interested ($$$).
His reading of BUK's poems was a major downer during the documentary, absolutely UNNECESSARY and EMPTY!
I agree. I hate that part where Bono is reading Bukowski poetry. I always turn the volume down or fast-forward to the next scene. In my opinion Bono is just a huge douche with fancy sunglasses and huge ego. I doubt that he really likes or understands Bukowski poems/novels.

Other than that, "Born Into This" is a great movie, I love it. I've watched it ~15 times already...

douche.jpg

I found this picture I had saved on my hard drive some time ago. I think it perfectly catches the spirit of Bono.

Brilliance from Latvia! Thank you. I always thought countries behind the Iron Curtain were perpetually behind the times. Benvenuto is in tune, good job on that.

I thought Bono made the documentary! when he called buk... Bono: "Hey this is Bono, I really like your stuff" Buk: "WHO THE FUCK IS BONO?!" Bono: "Ask your wife she'll tell you" Buk: "HONEY, WHO THE FUCK IS BONO!?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back