Bukowski poem for Jörg Fauser - "Joe" (1 Viewer)

Johannes

Founding member
Rereading Fauser it's mentioned in an afterword that after his death 1987 Bukowski wrote a poem about him.

I've never read that one. Anybody know it? roni, I'm looking in your direction especially, but maybe someone else knows it too. Probably about somebody called "Joe", young German, writer, interviewed B. for German Playboy, got run over by a car on the highway??

Last edited by a moderator:
That rings a bell. It might be the poem called 'Joe'.

I have Gargoyle No. 35 somewhere, so if I can find it I'll check. If anyone has 'Slouching Toward Nirvana' that might be the same poem, but I don't think I have that book at present.

Edit: Here's 'Joe' from Gargoyle #35, 1988 (pdf attachment)

Attachments

• Bukowski-Joe-Gargoyle35a.pdf
    521.2 KB · Views: 842
Whatever they pay you, hank solo, it sure isn't enough. Thank you very much. Best service ever :)

Not the same poem in Slouching Toward Nirvana. Thanks for posting it. I'm going to move it to the uncollected forum.

First time I read this poem. - Thanks, Hank Solo!

Was Fauser the guy who was referred to as "Son Of Bukowski" in "Shakespeare.." (and seen on a pic too)?

Yep, thats buk giving homage. With self-dep foaming-over. its easy to forget just how many different characters there are besides just Chinaski. Thanks HS, that was a treat.

Was Fauser the guy who was referred to as "Son Of Bukowski" in "Shakespeare.." (and seen on a pic too)?

No, that was Christoph Derschau. (another of the Weissner-entourage at that time.)

I don't have This:
fauser_bukowski.jpg
picture on my machine right now
and need to scan it tomorrow, then I can post it in proper size. (except one of you cats is faster.)

It's Fauser (right), when he was visiting Buk (left) in 1977. I think this pic was taken at the LA-airport. We also see Linda Lee (2nd left) and Frances Schoenberger (2nd right) on that pic. (so guess who's the photographer.)

right.

Here again, now bigger - The guy to the right, looking somewhat pissed (see poem for explanation) is FAUSER:

Bukowski-Fauser_Montfort_1a.jpg

...and this one is DERSCHAU (from 'Shakespeare'):

Bukowski-Derschau_Montfort_1a.jpg

Yeah, Fauser does look pissed alright! :)

Yes, that's "Son Of Bukowski", Derschau. What's he doing these days?

Thanks for the photo's, Roni...

I never cared for Fausers poems too much, but that's just me. His novel "Rohstoff" is great, anyhow. The most living vibrating picture of the Germany late 60's/70's/early 80`s, I've ever read.

Derschau as a writer is rather minor, in comparison. Though, a fair poet.

hank solo - if you ever set foot in Chicago and fail to contact me, thereby preventing me from buying you a drink... there will be hell to pay ;)

sc_barfly2.jpg

Thanks for that poem and everything else you contribute here.

Thanks, Ponder! So he died at age 57.
I just read they've published a biography on Fauser, (in German.)
Will pick it up one day.
Speaking about Germany; my girlfriend and I want to visit Andernach in march or april.

Ah, a pilgrimage! That's nice. Please shoot some pics of Buk's birthplace etc. and post them here...

[...] my girlfriend and I want to visit Andernach in march or april.

In August this year, there will be a symposium of the Bukowski-Society in Andernach. (after a 3-year pause) - maybe you want to come then too?

(I'm in negotiations with some well known persons to hold addresses. But since nothing is definite now, I'll keep this as a surprise issue. Will tell you as soon as everything's set.)

Please shoot some pics of Buk's birthplace etc. and post them here...

That's what it looks like nowadays:

20birth-1.jpg

(the arrow points to the window behind which he is said to be born.)

It's Fauser (right), when he was visiting Buk (left) in 1977. I think this pic was taken at the LA-airport.
I noticed while flipping through Das War's today that the photo was taken at the Hollywood Park track.

Thanks, Roni! Great pic of Buk's birthplace.
(I think I can spot the plaque from the Buk Society on the side of the house)

LOL - That's a hilarious pic, Roni! Buk - the only true saviour...:D
It's a very nice plaque! A great initiative by the Bukowski Gesellschaft. What material is it made of?

Moving pictures of Järg Fauser: July 16, 1944 - July 17, 1987.
They remember him 20 years after he passed away.

I just got this chapbook "Joe".
The origin seems to be German "S-Press Tonband Verlag", so does anyone know if this is somehow approved?
_joe1.jpg _joe2.jpg

never seen. but if the address is right, it must be from not later than 1990 (because of the WEST-Germany-reference).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back