Bukowski recording from 1962 (1 Viewer)

In a letter to the Webbs, from 1963, that I just read in "Screams From The Balcony", Bukowski is talking about a home recording he made in 1962 for a radio station.
I will send you a tape of a poetry reading of mine I made on my machine and which was broadcast over KPFK in August 1962. Of course, they deleted a lot of vulgarity, had to, so it is not quite the same thing I sent them. They asked me to come to their studios, which is like asking me to go to church with a hangover, so instead I mailed them what I had made in my room among the beercans, and they accepted it and played it over the air. Jack Hirschman's wife runs the literary and drama end of KPFK. Anyhow, when the thing finally came on over the radio ... at 11:15pm ... I was drunk and did not hear it, but somebody retaped it off the radio and I was able to hear it afterward.
Is this recording available somewhere? Did anyone of you listen to it?

I removed chronic's link earlier today so people would buy the disc from Pacifica (and because it was indeed some guy reading Robert Frost), but it is still on their site, so what the hell. Download away.

http://audio.pacificaradioarchives.org/mp3/pra_20070918_030000vault.mp3

That link comes from this page, by the way. We have talked about this before, but there's a lot of interesting stuff in there.

And if you like what they do you should buy a copy of the disc. Who else is saving this kind of thing for us?

And if you like what they do you should buy a copy of the disc. Who else is saving this kind of thing for us?

Right! - And then you'll get the reading on a CD (CD-R) and you won't have to depend on an MP3 player to listen to it. With a CD you can listen to it on any old CD player, plus they say the CD sound quality is better than the MP3's.

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought this cd when it was initially offered, and i'd recommend picking up a copy.
they did a nice job cleaning up a really poor quality master tape.

I'm very happy with my copy too. Plus, it's divided into tracks as opposed to the free MP3 which is one long track.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you say, mjp (and as I no doubt aready commented elsewhere when we first found the 1962 Buk reading), there is a lot of good stuff in their archives. I just downloaded an interview with Anais Nin. I used to listen to KPFK /Pacifica Radio when I lived in L.A. in the 60s/70s. Best radio I ever heard for cultural, political, literary, non music stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back