Cancer of the eyeball, the grammar of life, a need for glue - pulse - No. 4 - 1971 (1 Viewer)

There is a Buk letter to Norman Moser dated 12-16-70 on the PBA site and it looked interesting so I tracked it down and it is published in The Illuminations Reader which I just received today. I uploaded the whole letter which I thought was interesting.

Then there are some Buk poems from Pulse no. 4 which are "a need for glue" which we have on the database, then two--"cancer of the eyeball" and "THE GRAMMAR OF LIFE" which I don't think are listed in the database.

Then there are three poems and I believe what we have as "vaudeville revelation" is not by Buk, but by Blazek.

Same for a poem a few pages later "A Point of Reference" which is listed on database by Buk but is by Neal Bockman.

But what about "EPITAPH FOR A NATION OF INDIVIDUALISTS"? Is that also by Blazek or Buk? I assume Blazek since it is on same page?

Buk Poems 00111.jpg

Buk 1 001-111.jpg

David,

I'm almost sure there are 3 B. poems only in Pulse plus the letter to Moser. The "Epitaph..." poem must be by Blazek. I'll take a look at the Blazek biblio when I get back home...

and "THE GRAMMAR OF LIFE" which I don't think are listed in the database.

he reads one with that title on 'king of poets' cd but it's slightly different.

edit - just found this undiscovered film of him reading it!

"cancer of the eyeball" and "THE GRAMMAR OF LIFE" which I don't think are listed in the database. [...] Then there are three poems and I believe what we have as "vaudeville revelation" is not by Buk, but by Blazek. [...] Same for a poem a few pages later "A Point of Reference" which is listed on database by Buk but is by Neal Bockman.
Fixed, fixed, fixed and fixed. Gracias.

But what about "EPITAPH FOR A NATION OF INDIVIDUALISTS"? Is that also by Blazek or Buk?
If that's Bukowski I'm closing this site forever.

Which is my understated way of saying, I don't think it is.

Oh, the two uploads I could find of the above poem on youtube are smeared with the sound of excrement. Why do they do it! Broken broken broken. I cannot read the poem without hearing the man himself, anyhow.

God bless him for working on a typewriter and this surviving correspondence. He's like Bob Dylan tapping away. These scans are amazing. thank you for posting. I love him giving shouts out to Pound, Jeffers and Knut Hamsun. Ill be sure to read more of them now. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back