From the Producer: Charles Bukowski - One Tough Mother (1 Viewer)

Here is a link to the brand new preview of a 2-DVD set being released next month:

Preview for New 2-DVD set with the full, uncut last two performances of Charles Bukowski reading his poems. If you've never been to a Bukowski reading, you'll experience the full impact of his "in your face" poetry.

The poems themselves are only half the show. Also included on this 30th Anniversary Special Edition are 3 new Featurettes: Bukowski at the Huntington, About "Born into This", with an extensive interview with Director/Producer John Dullaghan, and exclusive footage of scenes from "Love, Bukowski" an award winning play based on the poems of Bukowski - and much more.

350 minutes total playing time.

exclusive footage of scenes from "Love, Bukowski" an award winning play based on the poems of Bukowski...
Why did you ruin it with that garbage? That clueless, hammy third rate ACtor reading The History Of A Tough Motherfucker will ruin the poem for you. Fair warning. Turn off the preview when you get to it. Eject the DVD when you get to it. Pass a law making this kind of thing illegal. Do something.

order now and you'll receive the soundtrack of "Bukowskical"!

looks great otherwise.

I feel the same. I was waiting to buy this instead of the two seperate disk.. but after I realized what the "extras" were, I've desided to buy them seperate after all.

In all fairness, the individual discs are edited and the readings in the set are supposedly complete. So there will be stuff in the set that you can't get elsewhere. I don't know what the Huntington footage looks like, but there was a lot of action that night. We still have Linda's wine-stained program as proof. ;)

In all fairness...

Why did you ruin it with that garbage? That clueless, hammy third rate ACtor reading The History Of A Tough Motherfucker will ruin the poem for you. Fair warning. Turn off the preview when you get to it. Eject the DVD when you get to it. Pass a law making this kind of thing illegal. Do something.

In all fairness to Joanne Gordon, the producer/director, and Mark Piatelli, the actor who performed the poem, I thought it was very powerful. Love, Bukowski was the second award-winning play Joanne produced and directed based on on Hank's poems. I saw the play three times and loved it - after the first time, I asked permission to film it and Linda and Joanne agreed. I especially loved the poems that Mark performed - a lot of feeling, in my opinion.

At the Huntington event Joanne told the story of the first play based on Bukowski's poems she produced and directed. She wrote it and contacted Hank to ask permission. He got back to her and said he would come to the theater to see it during rehearsals, and if he liked it, she could do it for free - but if he didn't like it, she couldn't do it all all.

In an amazing show of self confidence, Joanne rented a theater, hired actors, and rehearsed without knowing if the play would ever open. When Hank and Linda arrived, she was incredibly nervous. After it ended, Hank turned to her and said, "It's good, it's fucking good. Let's get a beer." - and he gave his permission to stage his poems - with no fee.

If it's really not to your taste, it's in the "Extras" section and can easily be skipped. But, there are two other poems from the play: The Crunch and Flyboy. I think all three are real gems.

In addition to the three poems from Love, Bukowski, Bukowski at the Huntington, and About Born into This, there are interviews with Dennis Del Torre, who produced the Vancouver reading, Denny Bruce who produced the Redondo reading and the CD Hostage, and my wife and myself.

Dennis also contributed his letters from Hank and the personal inscriptions from his Bukowski book collections.

I hope everyone will enjoy it - in this 30th Anniversary Special.

In making this, there is a poem in the Vancouver reading that Hank does not say its name - every other poem is introduced. It bugs me that we can't find it anywhere to get the title - we called it "Untitled - Marty". Does anyone know the real title? Does the poem show up anywhere besides the Vancouver reading?

BTW - remember Dennis Del Torre talking about how in the first half of the readings Hank would give you the laughers and funny stuff, and in the second have he gave you the soul stuff. Then look closely at the part of the Redondo reading where Hank is walking off the stage; the guy behind him is an earlier verion of Dennis - when he had a lot of hair.

In making this, there is a poem in the Vancouver reading that Hank does not say its name - every other poem is introduced. It bugs me that we can't find it anywhere to get the title - we called it "Untitled - Marty". Does anyone know the real title? Does the poem show up anywhere besides the Vancouver reading?
Empty Goblet
Open All Night - pg. 207

In all fairness to [...] Mark Piatelli, the actor who performed the poem, I thought it was very powerful. [...] a lot of feeling, in my opinion.
A lot of feeling. Yes. A ridiculous amount of over-the-top ACtor-y "feeling" that is completely and utterly inappropriate to the poem. But hey, why quibble over details. If you enjoy hammy shit I'm sure it's very satisfying.

But to me, and I think to anyone who understands Bukowski's work, that interpretation of The History Of A Tough Motherfucker missed the mark by a hundred miles.

I must say now - and I don't say this either to defend these interpreters of Bukowski's work (or public readers of his work) in general NOR to offend them in general, but - it is a GENERAL REMARK:

after you've seen (or even only heared) Bukowski himself interpreting his writing, there will NEVER be Anyone, you can accept trying to do so!
You'll be spoiled for the rest of your life.

I know, what I'm talking about.

There were GREAT German actors or speakers, I've heared reading Bukowski live or on CD. Gätz George, Martin Semmelrogge, Christian Brückner, Otto Sander, all of these are BIG in German literary culture and they DESERVE it - but neither them nor the lesser known Buk-interpreters I've ever seen, there must have been over a dozen of them by now (not counting the 'small stages' in little towns), can EVER come close to Hank's own interpretation of his work!
Never ever!
Even at times, when he was most disgusted in performing his work in public, he was better than any of the others!
The effect: You're spoiled!

It's a bit like knowing Kinski's version of 'Woyzeck' and then going to the theatre when they give it: they either try to copy him (which doesn't work and comes up looking ridiculous) or try to give the play a different/new turn (which usually doesn't work either).

But should we abandon 'Woyzeck' from our stages because of this?

I'm drunk, but I mean all this. (I guess)

I ordered this new set from Amazon for $26.99. I should be receiving it tomorrow.

I've noticed, though, that many Amazon dealers and ebay sellers are offering this set for as low as $10. Why so cheap? Was I foolish to pay full price on Amazon? I just wanted to be sure I got a legitimate product.....

God I'm embarrassed just watching that actor...NO NO NO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back