heroes (1 Viewer)

This comes from watching an episode of Northern Exposure where they talk about how people need heroes, whether mythological or historical. Anybody else feel like Bukowski is a hero? I did a 'search' and did not see any threads where this was discussed. I'm new around here, and appreciate the forum. A person could follow pathways around here for a long time. Other related question, more factual I guess: did Bukowski have any heros?

he·ro·ic
Also, he·ro·i·cal. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a hero or heroine.
suitable to the character of a hero in size or concept; daring; noble: a heroic ambition.
Also, he·ro·i·cal. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a hero or heroine.
suitable to the character of a hero in size or concept; daring; noble: a heroic ambition.
having or displaying the character or attributes of a hero; extraordinarily bold, altruistic, determined, etc.: a heroic explorer.
having or involving recourse to boldness, daring, or extreme measures: Heroic measures were taken to save his life.
dealing with or describing the deeds, attributes, etc., of heroes, as in literature.

hell ya he's a hero!

I'm new around here...
You don't say?

growing beard
Synonymist

Looks like you have plenty of experience "around here."

I also seem to recall emails you sent to me directly, accusing me of infecting your computers with viruses, and saying such classically delusional things as, "people who think of themselves as being in positions of power especially find my presence to be intimidating."

And who can forget your brilliant, breathless "poetry"!

Garden variety net.kook, yes.
"New around here," no.

Just so everyone is on the same page.

I have well under 100 posts in this forum. To me, that is far from having
plenty of experience
Did not intend to deceive anybody. As for the rest, yes sir, guilty as charged. I have in fact shit the bed on numerous occasions. :fool:.

And of course, by 'guilty' I mean ... LIES! ALL LIES!

But whoever wrote that poem about the time crunch had a decent line at the end there: "some of the more intrepid ones are camped out on the field of play."

Don't know so much about him being a 'Hero' but if he is, he belongs to the most interesting group: the flawed ones; doesn't set out to be one, couldn't give a fuck about one and doesn't that make him even more heroic?Think I'm wandering (yet again) into Life Of Brian territory here, if you need a question answered about Life, Love and The Meaning of The Universe please refer to that film or Bukowski.

he belongs to the most interesting group: the flawed ones
well said. guess there isn't any other kind ...

doesn't set out to be one, couldn't give a fuck about one
wouldn't be surprised if from time to time he did see himself as larger than life ... but others around here know more about it that me, so it's just an opinion. to me personally he is a hero for sure. whether he's a role model would be another question, though

"I sensed from the beginning, of
course, that there was a strange gnawing
inside of me"

"I'll take it"
p107 in You Get So Alone...
(c) black sparrow 1997

[sorry for reanimating such an old thread.]
I have well under 100 posts in this forum. To me, that is far from having "plenty of experience"

Maybe it even doesn't matter how many posts one has (or how very much one posts at a single time). Maybe, just maybe that is, it's a question of WHAT one posts. But that's only a vague guess.

As what you said about your non-experience: I do agree.
So don't you think somebody who jumps in with not much experience shouldn't speak for the whole forum within two weeks? I'm not talking about you of course. This is only a general thought I just had all of a sudden.

I always sensed Bukowski knew exactly which way he was going. I'm not sure about 'flawed' I think of him as a different way. He didn't seem bothered if anyone came along with him, he was going that way anyway.

So don't you think somebody who jumps in with not much experience shouldn't speak for the whole forum within two weeks?
Danke fur die Kritik.

I always sensed Bukowski knew exactly which way he was going. I'm not sure about 'flawed' I think of him as a different way. He didn't seem bothered if anyone came along with him, he was going that way anyway.
Sound like you're onto something man. Speaking just for myself, good to have you aboard!

well roni I thought I was speaking to the forum and not for it. But maybe I did get a bit exited there. That's what alcohol will do to a guy.

Whoops, got the thread wrong there. It must be right. I need a bit more experience.

Why the desire for Bukowski to be a hero ? Is there a need always to suckle from some deity; religious, literary, or otherwise? Cant it just be their work – what they do - talented and extraordinary as it is? Given Bukowski’s copious output and longevity there is conflicting material ( who stays consistent over a lifetime?) on how he felt about writers being so elevated. Yes he admired other writers, however he also stated in The Captain Is Out To Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over The Ship “few writers like other writers work...” “I don’t even like to talk to writers, look at them, or worse, listen to them”. Not a lot of hero worship there . In Gothic and etc. he recounts spurning a student keen to hoist him up on a pedestal, which I guess for me is a large part of why I like him; the lack of pretension about what art/literature is and significantly; what it isn’t.
Maybe I'm just hostile to hero worship, given that there is always someone ready and willing to knock your hero of their perch by revealing that actually, when they were 12 yrs old they shoved their granny off the bus ( minor injuries only) and now spend their weekends stealing underwear from washing lines... fab.

Good points for sure skygazer. I wouldn't say that there's a desire for bukowski to be a hero any more than a desire for a dad to be a dad or a gorilla to be a gorilla. Just is what it is. I certainly don't worship the guy, there's plenty to criticize. But there's something i get from his work that is better than what i can get just about anywhere else - like having a setting for north on your compass. you don't worship north and you certainly don't always go north but it sure helps you orientate your map and find your way.

I have often thought that poets write poetry as a form of 'release'. I cant see CB sitting at the typewriter for the first time and thinking "I'm gonna try and be a great writer" I feel that it must have just come out forcefully on its own. Heroes don't get the choice of being heroes they are elected. And a Gorilla is a gorilla - King Kong now there was a hero!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back