I'm pissed again! Buk still isn't listed.... (1 Viewer)

zoom man

Founding member
Every year around this time (a couple of months ago really) I'm pissed :mad:
OK, I admit to being whacked but I buy a new almanac yearly and the first thing I always do is check the WRITERS OF THE PAST section and look for Buk...... And once again, the new almanac does not acknowledge him. I think we should all get together and petition or something. It's not right! Ok, off my soapbox :D
Eric

I'm glad they don't mention Buk. He never was and never will be meant for the masses. I say its more of a blessing than a curse.

yeah, maybe you guys are right....
He was happy in the end (mercedes benz, etc.), having finally 'made it'.
I think he even said something about not giving a rat's ass about what people thought about him after he was gone.
Maybe we should try to keep him to ourselves....
In an ideal world tho, his writing would have garnished attention at the get-go.

Most people want escapism in their entertainment, and that entertainment includes books. The audience for poetry is pretty small, and if you look at Bukowski's novels -- I just can't see Ham On Rye being an Oprah Winfrey book club selection somehow.

So I don't think any effort is needed to "keep him to ourselves." I don't think anyone else wants him. ;)

yeah mjp makes a good point. the people who already know about him and how great his work is don't need to do anything to make him project him into the limelight. his work speaks for itself.

Guess who's in

The World Almanac and Book of Facts 2010

(sandwiched between Pearl S Buck and Mikhail Bulgakov)

Charles Bukowski 1920-94 (U.S.) novelist, poet. Ham on Rye, Women.

I'm
Fuel Cost: $3.79 at 15 MPG
away
(according to MapQuest).

I'm ~18 miles away

(Saw gas here locally for $3.13,
so fueled up 2 blocks past the main drag here
(Sepulveda)
for $2.87)

Bill neglected to mention that booze is also sold in L or mL, but beer (and ZIMA) remains stubbornly British in ounces.

Gas here is almost $2...per liter! - And I believe a gallon is 3.8 liters.

1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609188 Metric litres.

Here a litre of fuel is currently £1.10 GBP, which is about $1.84 USD and €1,22 Euro, so I suppose that's $8.37 USD per gallon.

Fascinating. :p

Gas here is $2.40...
In California it's more because we pay a tax for being able to live in a really cool place.
Sometimes I forget how many people here don't live in America. All this talk of litres is confusing to us yanks.
Most of us, however, are not confused.
Bill neglected to mention that booze is also sold in L or mL, but beer (and ZIMA) remains stubbornly British in ounces.

You see, the booze keeps us clear on world affairs and with no confusion. Do they still sell Zima?

Yeah think he meant
1 Metric Litre = 1.75975326 Imperial Pints
1 Imperial Gallon = 8 Imperial Pints

Although 1 US gallon = 0.83267384 Imperial gallons, so I'm still not sure how much cheaper your fuel is... other than much cheaper :D

Every year around this time (a couple of months ago really) I'm pissed :mad:
OK, I admit to being whacked but I buy a new almanac yearly and the first thing I always do is check the WRITERS OF THE PAST section and look for Buk...... And once again, the new almanac does not acknowledge him. I think we should all get together and petition or something. It's not right! Ok, off my soapbox :D
Eric
What are you trying to do - make the guy mainstream. Thats silly, just ask the bospress guy.

I see! Thanks, mjp. I suspected L and ml wasn't used for soda only.

1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609188 Metric litres.

Right! And 1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back