New Bukowski reading DVDs

Discussion in 'Video, audio, film and other media' started by mjp, Dec 30, 2007.

1. hank solo

hank solo Reaper Crew First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Yes you would need to join ebay, and also paypal if you are not already a member/user.

2. Bukfan

Bukfan "The law is wrong; I am right" Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

I have a paypal account so I guess I'll just have to become a member of ebay as well.
    Did you just order the 2 DVD's via your own Paypal account in order to save the $3 - instead of using the premade forms? In that case maybe I could just get hold of the company's email address and send them the money through Paypal thus avoiding ebay membership?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  3. hank solo

hank solo Reaper Crew First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

I ordered via ebay first then paid from paypal.

I would suggest you either wait for them to reply to your earlier email otherwise join ebay and order that way.

Bukfan I've PM'd you.

4. Bukfan

Right! Got your PM - thanks!

5. mjp

mjp That gum you liike is going to come back in style Reaper Crew First 9 Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

I'm told that sales are already good, and also that they only pressed 1000 copies of each reading. So, while I wouldn't expect them to sell out in a week or anything, I'd still get while the getting's good. It would suck to go to buy them 6 months from now and find they're gone (like the elusive Barfly DVDs).

6. Save a whole dollar on each disc - purchase via Ebay

Dennis, I can get another bottle.

Ordering today.

7. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski First 9 Redwood Original

man oh man, i'm worried they're gonna sell out.
    think they'd press more if they did?

8. HenryChinaski

okay so, when you guys get these, let us know how they are.

9. HenryChinaski

anybody know about the last straw? that's the same reading that's on the Hostage disc right? anyways, if so, this is, in my opinion, the funniest reading he ever gave. I'm very excited to see the film from this.

10. chronic

chronic Why, yes... it is. Redwood Original Unholy Ones

It's just the typical problems that you would expect in a transfer from from an old video tape. Overall not too bad.

Yep, the same reading as Hostage.

11. Ponder

Ponder "So fuck Doubleday Doran" Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Got them today. I didn't even notice good or bad quality. Great readings and atmosphere.
    Huge glasses of red wine during Hostage, small audience, smoking, Linda happily waving.

The Vancouver reading: 18 short poems in 1 hour & 37 minutes. :D

12. non compos mentis

non compos mentis Supporting good poetry

I got some lines and artifacts, but they popped in only once in a while. Sure beats the reading at Bellvue quality! I'm real happy with both these DVDs. Great addition to my growing collection.

13. Any relation to Morona?

14. I have to wait until 3-3-08 to order the set,no fun money left-anyway who out there knows how long it took Buk to write one of his books? Did he write from start to finish?or have a poem or two while doing the books?I know he did more than sit around and write all day,did post office take a long time?just want to know the man better.

15. Bukfan

I got the DVD's today. I have'nt had time to watch them yet, but I took a look at the poem listings. Too bad they deleted some poems from "Redondo Beach" because they also appear on "Vancouver" (unfortunately, they also deleted the poem, "I believe in evil", which does'nt appear on the other DVD). After all, you want to watch the complete unedited readings. It's small potatoes, of course. The main thing is that we now, finally, can watch those Buk readings! Long live mondaymedia!

16. mjp

mjp That gum you liike is going to come back in style Reaper Crew First 9 Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Remember too that it took multiple tapes to cover the readings. So it could just be that a tape ran out during "I believe in evil," and there wasn't enough video there to cover up the gap (as they did with freeze frames in Bukowski at Bellevue). But I agree that editing the readings to remove duplicate poems was pointless.

And you're right, the thing to remember is now we have them. So debating their flaws is kind of like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

17. Rekrab

Rekrab Half right most the time, except when I'm wrong. Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Damn, I'd better buy these while I can. It's hard to keep up when you have five minutes a day to look at the Forum (which equals about one minute in brain time when you haven't had your coffee yet). Okay: buy these DVDs, send away for that 1962 tape. What else am I missing? Oh, and the hardback Father Luke book. I'm still annoyed at myself for missing that one.

18. Gerard K H Love

Gerard K H Love Appreciate your friends Men of Mayhem

OK I ordered both. Now I wait, like for Father Luke's book, I wait, like David Barker and Justin Barrett's books, I wait. Man I have the shakes.

19. Father Luke

Father Luke First 9 Redwood Original

There it is.

Thanks Dennis.

20. Father Luke

where? wut advertisement? i don't see any advertisement?

Anyway, thanks again to Dennis. These are really great.

21. mjp

Dennis and Jon (Mondaymedia). Jon owns the Redondo Beach tape, Dennis owns the Vancouver tape. Linda introduced them.

22. Father Luke

i stand corrected.

Thanks Dennis and Jon! These are really great.
    All the readings I've heard on tapes, for forever, are now magical moments of eye candy

(sticking my finger down my throat at my stupid attempt at imagery)

Seriously. These are great.
    Really great.

23. cirerita

cirerita First 9 Redwood Original

Watched the Redondo Beach last night. Hmm, not bad, but I think the Vancouver reading was better... and longer, of course. Same scheme, though: crowd pleasers -weak poems- as openers and the best ones at the end. Too bad he's too drunk at the end and babbles a lot.

I noticed something interesting. I didn't see him smiling when reading his poems at the Vancouver reading. Sure, he laughs a lot and smiles when he interacts with the crowd, but he's damn serious while reading. In the Redondo Beach reading, he does smile while reading some lines. Check "I'm a reasonable man" (about the last time he saw Linda King). He smiles a few times, almost mockingly.

24. Rekrab

Rekrab Half right most the time, except when I'm wrong. Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Thanks Father Luke and mjp for setting my mind at ease. Nothing pisses me off quite like paying good money for a movie on eBay and getting a lousy rip-off pirated copy that usually won't even play correctly.

And thanks to the filmmakers for making these available to Bukowski fans.

25. mjp

He probably knew half the people in the audience at Redondo. Maybe he thought he could get away with inside jokes there, whereas Vancouver was all strangers (though Linda B. was there...).

I haven't seen The Last Straw yet, but judging by the audio which I've heard many times, he may have also been in a better mood that night.

26. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Ordering mine in 3... 2... 1....

NOW.

27. Bukfan

My mistake! I just watched The Last Straw (Redondo Beach) and the poem, "I Believe In Evil", is there alright. I think the reason why it's not on the list of poems, is because Buk's not reading it from his poem collection, instead he's improvising it!

28. hoochmonkey9

hoochmonkey9 enough with the "steampunk tendencies" already. Reaper Crew First 9 Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

mine came today.
    I'm preparing to watch the fuck out of them.
    nice note included. at least I'm #1 at something....

[​IMG]

29. Ponder

Ponder "So fuck Doubleday Doran" Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Congrats, hooch ;)

30. Bukfan

Wow, you were their first costumer! Nice note you got!
    Funny that a lot of us received the DVD's before you...:confused: