The Body in the Square [undated poem]

Discussion in 'Unpublished and Uncollected' started by marina del rey, Jul 7, 2011.

1. marina del rey

marina del rey Prospect Unholy Ones

Does anyone recognize this poem? I can't find any references to it in the database or anywhere.

Attached Files:

Johannes, hoochmonkey9 and mjp like this.
  2. mjp

mjp Reaper Crew First 9 Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

That's a new one to me. Where is it from?
  3. number6horse

number6horse I'll never be your Beast of Bourbon Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Huh. That one didn't feel like Bukowski to me until the "bayonets into the sea" part. And what is a "graze-point Stroebel" ? Stroebel is a family surname ?
  4. Bukfan

Bukfan "The law is wrong; I am right" Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  5. number6horse

number6horse I'll never be your Beast of Bourbon Redwood Original Unholy Ones

I don't think that would be the same guy. Not only does he spell his name differently, it sounds like he didn't make a name for himself until the late 90's/early 00's.

http://www.leestrobel.com/Bio.php
  6. Bukfan

Bukfan "The law is wrong; I am right" Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Thanks, No.6! It must be another 'graze-point Stroebel', the poem's talking about then.
  7. marina del rey

It was tucked away inside an original script of Barfly that I bought from Scott Harrison. I'm guessing that Scott stuck it in there for me to find.

It seems vaguely familiar, but I can't place it. The way his name is at the end of the poem would indicate that it was xeroxed from a magazine appearance.

If I had to guess when it was written, I'd say maybe late 60's / early 70's. But I'm not basing that on anything other than my gut reaction, so I could be completely wrong. I'll email Scott to see if he has any info.
    mjp likes this.
  8. marina del rey

Scott said that he did copy that poem from a magazine that he sold years ago, but he has no idea which one it was.
  9. mjp

mjp Reaper Crew First 9 Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

I was just looking at this again, and it doesn't match any of the typewriter samples, so dating it from this is difficult. I'm assuming the magazine typeset it. If they didn't, and that's just a copy of the manuscript, it's a much later poem, likely done on the computer (look at the 'g' - it isn't a typewriter font).

But I think your gut is right, it doesn't read like a later poem. And the occasional line/stanza indentation is something he left behind, for the most part, after a certain point.

All apropos of nothing, I suppose.
  10. Johannes

Johannes First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Very interesting poem.

I'd guess sometime in the 60's too, maybe 65-70 ... some unnamed and undated war was a theme in quite a few of his early poems. You can feel the Hemingway-influence there.