Unknown Bukowski pictures? (2 Viewers)

charles-bukowski-cinematheia_com_.jpg

I think the sunglasses in the VW pic above is one by Montfort and was a print with the Free Thought paper, Bukowski issue.

I have the Free Thought Buk issue but not the print...I believe there were numbered and not numbered copies?

I always wonder if it ever happend that somebody came up to Madonna and she's expecting they want an autograph or a photo or something but they only say to her: "HOW WAS IT TO MEET CHARLES BUKOWSKI??!"

hank and linda carlton way.jpg
hank and wife.jpg

I got rid of the Christy-Powell thing years ago, so I can't check it, but I don't think the picture is in the Buk book.

Untitled-2.jpg

The-Buk-Book.jpg

hank door.jpg

Last edited:
Most certainly it is. And by the look on his face, one might wonder what was the fate of the photographer. By the way, Life and Death in the Charity Ward is among his best short stories. Told with dark humor and aplomb regarding what weren't his best days. It's right up there with All the Assholes... and Confessions...

And Ponder, that scratch and sniff shot is indeed in The Buk Book, Musings on Charles Bukowski, by Christy and Powell, along with a few others from the same night (as well as some playing the piano drunk photos that might have spawned a book title).

Last edited:
Still wondering if anyone knows where to locate the photo I'm using as my picture.
I need the one where the forehead isn't cut off.
I'd be a huge help if anyone knew where to find that.
Advanced thanks.

Thanks, Digney.

I think that's the picture that goes on screen while George John Martin speaks about Buk's idea of earning for a living at the track(s).
In Born Into This.

It's obviously that way.
I know for sure, that this photo was shot by Allen Ginsberg.

Going back years here.... I looked and it seems that this WSB photo is by Malanga, not Ginsberg. I can find no attribution to A.G. at all. Maybe it just looks the same. He does have archives of some other photographers, but not Ginsberg.

Anyone know if that is to bleed the radiator? Do they even have radiators in LA?
Not steam radiators like you'd have out there or in the Midwest. Mostly electric wall heaters here, especially in apartments (that must be his Mariposa apartment). That does look like a valve though, or maybe a cheap pipe repair. A hot water pipe. Where the plumbers at? Chime in! Ha.

I'm no plumber, but that looks like a water pipe, not a steam pipe. Water pipes are fairly narrow (~3/4") to maintain pressure in the system whereas steam pipes for radiators are much more wide (~1.5-2") because the steam essentially pressurizes the system through the act of becoming steam. That looks like a repair that needs a calendar over it. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back