Yes I believe this to be true... (1 Viewer)

Jeez, Carter, where the hell you been?

I think Buk had no real political affiliation and had disdain for both sides of the crap show that was then and certainly is now US politics. But he likely had both left and right traits to some extent. He was a fan of the underdog and often expressed his somewhat sympathetic thoughts on the down-trodden and the guys who worked shit jobs as he did, and that's arguably more left than right, but he also expressed a desire to be left alone (on a small scale anyway), so you might call that more right than left. I strongly feel that he felt no pull in either direction in terms of liberal or conservative. He just felt what he felt and believed what he believed.

The only vote he is allegedly know to have cast was for Clinton in 1992, but that doesn't mean all that much. One of the things I like about Buk is that regardless of his position on things, he almost never, or perhaps never, made it political. He was better than that.

As for Dinosauria, We, I'll have to read it again to comment further on your opinion.

He wasn't conservative large or small 'c.' Maybe where money was concerned, but otherwise he didn't fit the definition. A conservative 71 year old doesn't embrace (and enjoy) an alien technology like computers.

If you think you can hang a political tag on him, you're projecting.

A conservative 71 year old doesn't embrace (and enjoy) an alien technology like computers.
While I agree with your position, I don't think that this statement says anything about a political persuasion. But in terms of a more general concept of conservativism (perhaps the samll c you mention), I'd agree with you. Then again, I agree fully with your political assessment, so perhaps I have no point whatsoever and just have nothing better to do right now.

As for the poem, I've read it twice now in the past five minutes. Other than a few obvious lines that echo concerns about the national debt, etc., I read it as an observation from someone from both sides; not politcal, but observing from his perspective of annoyance with almost everything. Damn, I feel like that sometimes and I'm no conservative.

He was a fan of the underdog and often expressed his somewhat sympathetic thoughts on the down-trodden and the guys who worked shit jobs as he did, ...

Right, and because of that I would say chances are he leaned to the left, rather than to the right, although how much is anybody's guess. I also seem to remember he sometimes expressed a certain disdain for the bosses and the fat cats.

Last edited by a moderator:
in terms of a more general concept of conservativism (perhaps the samll c you mention), I'd agree with you.
You have to separate the two meanings, yes. But since Mr. Mars says "a conservative," I suspect he meant a Conservative, politically.

I also suspect that his goal was to create a contentious response, which seems, so far, to have failed. Like most Conservative schemes.

I also suspect that his goal was to create a contentious response, which seems, so far, to have failed. Like most Conservative schemes.

No schemes. I don't have the strength for schemes. Conservative leaning people want contention? Do liberal leaning people want contention as well? Interesting, but I'd say neither.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back