What are you listening to? The world needs to know. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming you mean Pretties for You and Easy Action?

"...the infamous 'Chicken Incident'..."
Yes, those are the two. They originally came out on Zappa's Straight label. You can hear hints of what was to come in a few of the tracks, but most of it is unbridled, wanker shit. And I loved Alice Cooper as a young idiot in the early 70's.

The "chicken incident" is funny. Every time it's told a new wrinkle is introduced. "...the first few rows of the crowd occupied by disabled people in wheelchairs..." Ha ha ha - first time I've seen that twist. It was a typical 1969 hippie crowd, they were neither bloodthirsty nor violent. They did, however, manage to kill the chicken.

Cooper's management were early punk marketing geniuses, realizing that the more disgusting the "news" the wider play it would receive.

[Bob Marley]
Fyah!

What, boy! I've been rotating those three box sets pretty heavily lately. But this morning it's Peter Tosh, Legalize It, and Bunny Wailer, Protest and Blackheart Man.

I read somewhere that after the news of the chicken slaughter got out, Zappa called Alice and asked if it was true. When Alice said that it wasn't, Zappa told him that whatever he did he shouldn't deny it.

Yes, those are the two. They originally came out on Zappa's Straight label. You can hear hints of what was to come in a few of the tracks, but most of it is unbridled, wanker shit. And I loved Alice Cooper as a young idiot in the early 70's.

Cooper's management were early punk marketing geniuses, realizing that the more disgusting the "news" the wider play it would receive.

Helped that AC got a producer, Jack Richardson, that whipped them into shape. An extract from a longer interview with Richardson:

The success of the Guess Who records led to Alice Cooper contacting you. Cooper was already making a name with shock value. How did you approach those records you did with him?

Shep Gordon, Alice's manager, contacted me. [Alice] was the Darth Vader of the music business at the time, but all I think I said was, "We don't have to kill chickens onstage to make records." But it was these productions that we brought Bob Ezrin in on, as a kind of apprentice. I did Muscle of Love; Bob and I did Love It to Death and Killer together. I had agreed at first to do four sides with Alice. We did them at the RCA studios in Chicago, and Brian Christian was the engineer again, though later we also did some recording at Record Plant in New York, and Muscle of Love we started at Sunset Recorders in L.A. and finished at Record Plant. On the first session, we had Alice come in dressed in full Alice Cooper regalia, and Brian could never bring himself to call the guy "Alice." I don't put much credence in superficial appearances. I'm more interested in what they're doing musically and if they're serious about that. We actually became pretty good friends.

How was Cooper different as a production client from Guess Who, besides sartorially?

These were the records I moved to 24 tracks on. And the band was pretty raw players by comparison. That was something of a surprise. I'd have thought that a band who had already made three or four records would have been better players. I'm talking about issues like getting the guitars in tune. But the shock value of the music actually overcame these deficiencies. Still, to make the records, I needed a very sharp razor blade for edits. There was no Pro Tools then. I often took a chorus from one part and a verse from another and edited them together. We often worked from a tape drum loop. The albums were done much more as overdub sessions than ensemble playing. We also brought in some outside players, like Rick Derringer on Killer and Jack Bruce on Muscle of Love. But they were also attracted by Alice's notoriety. Alice, himself, was a very good singer in terms of knowing the songs and giving a good delivery. He was also a pretty nice guy. I would have brought him home to meet my mother. He was also a soap opera fanatic "” watched them all the time in the studio.

Guess I'm reminded of Richardson because the Junos (Canadian version of the Grammys) are being held this weekend in Vancouver and the Production award is named after Jack.

Ah, no, I didn't read that. Just pulled it out of the pit that I call a memory.

My mind is not unlike a pit. And then I make notes to myself and can't find them or understand them when I do find them. Actually I'm lucky if I can raise my memory to the level of "pit".

Last edited by a moderator:
Doves.jpg

Doves
Kingdom of Rust

Yeah-Yeah-Yeahs-Its-Blitz-462488.jpg

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!

joel-plaskett-three-446x400.jpg

very good triple (TRIPLE!!) cd from a hometown hero. my hometown, not yours. obviously.

No, that's after I left. I always tried to talk them into covering certain rock songs and they waited until I left to do it. Maybe I was holding them back. ;)

I wish I had some Stevie. I really dig him.:cool:

I'm listening to J.S. Bach, Violin Concerto In A Minor.:)
With my husband snoring in the backgroud.

early Stevie Wonder is magical.
Bach is my favorite classical composer. especially The Goldberg Variations or The French Suites.
and to fix the snoring spouse, wear headphones.

o, and I'm still listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs new cd. and the Bob Marley box set.

Okay hooch, the headphones are on-but what do I do when sleepy time comes in an hour or two??
I love Bach! One of the gifts Bukowski gave to me!:)

well, I can't help you there. I fall asleep with my headphones on. I need music to sleep. somehow, in the morning the headphones are on the floor beside the bed. these aren't earbud things, but the big style ones. the thud on the floor should wake everybody in the house up. but it doesn't.

I haven't tasted it yet. Do you like it ?

I find her very cute and sexy this time, compared to her austere look for White chalk.

pj-harvey-john-parish-1-lst031393.jpg

song will win you over. I think. like the beautiful bastard child of Patti Smith and Iggy Pop.

more songs stand out for me on this one than Dance Hall, which I liked, but it's probably one of her weaker cds. this one is a little more frantic and desperate. that's pomo mofo hipster speak for raw. ;)

I'm watching Later with Jools Holland, tonight with Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Carole King, Franz Ferdinand, The Mummers, Karima Francis and .

Off to see The Specials in 2 weeks. Can't wait. :cool:

yeah, it's no Jethro Tull, but...uhhhh. thank fuck it's no Jethro Tull.

are you really that much of a music snob? I like challenging music. Ornette, Braxton, Cage, ICP Orchestra, Mingus, Coltrane, etc. but does music that comes from the gut scare you that much? and why does it? just because you can play extra notes doesn't mean those notes are better.

well, I wont try to convince you otherwise. I always say something ( music or whatever) works for you or it doesn't. if it does, great. if it doesn't, move on.

but we'll always have Paris.

are you really that much of a music snob? I like challenging music. Ornette, Braxton, Cage, ICP Orchestra, Mingus, Coltrane, etc. but does music that comes from the gut scare you that much? and why does it? just because you can play extra notes doesn't mean those notes are better.

1. For the most part, yes
2. Not at all; I can't truly answer why it does, because I just indicated that it doesn't. What that partucular clip did was offend my senses. To me, that clip even tasted bad. And yeah, that's just my opinion. I would also add that if Mingus and Trane don't play music from the gut, then I've been deluded for over 20 years.
3. Of course extra notes don't always sound good or better. And it's all very subjective. But that clip reminded me of a 3rd grade school pageant interrupted by a sea lion being sodomized by a syphilitic pterodactyl.

well, I wont try to convince you otherwise. I always say something ( music or whatever) works for you or it doesn't. if it does, great. if it doesn't, move on.

I just can't let it go on initial impact. But I will agree that we can all like what we like and move on after we've had a chance to discuss said issue on an open forum such as this. BTW, I'm speaking as a person with ears and a mind, not as someone who plays (and I'm a nobody in that forum). But perhaps the two are inseparable.

You know, just had to say this. :)

my gut comment was off the mark. Coltrane did play from instinct. maybe I should've left him out of my argument to help my point ;).

I just tend to get my back up with comments like:

Deary me. All those music lessons...

which smacks of snobbery. but I might be a touch sensitive when it comes to songs that affect me. and to your point, i can't tell you why it affects me, it just does.

or is it effects. I get those confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back