A Sampler of a Bukowski Sampler (1 Viewer)

LickTheStar

Sad Flower in the Sand
So I'm posting this to show off my new acquisition... And also to dig a bit of info out of you guys. Reading on ABE beforehand to check out if I got a fair price for this, I saw that the second edition (purple) books has some stuff taken out and the addition of an excerpt of "The Way The Dead Love" so... is it worth it to have a copy of each, in your mind? Or did the novel excerpt appear elsewhere?

Anyway, here's my eBay copy, purchased for sub-$100. I think I got a good deal as there are ones that are described similarly for quite a bit more. But then again, ABE seems to drive up prices on occasion.

For those who don't own a copy of Crucifix, there's a scan of I Think of Mice Cooling It. And if you don't have a copy of It Catches or Heat Wave, State Of World Affairs From A 3rd Floor Window. Also a scan of the front\back covers and Blazek's introduction.

Enjoy!

Sampler Cover.jpg

I Think of Mice Cooling It Pg 1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

The State of Affairs From A Third Floor Window.jpg

Sampler Back.jpg

I have the feeling I've read the excerpt of The Way The Dead Love elsewhere, but I can't think of where it might have been at the moment. I only recently got a copy of the Sampler and when I read it it seemed familiar.

Thanks a lot for the scans, LTS! I don't have the book myself so it's nice to be able to read Blazek's intro...

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to remember hearing that Blaz said that the tan edition was a bootleg of this release and not published with any authority.

Bill

Thanks especially for the cover scans. I haven't seen those in years. Love that photo on the back. He looks like a used car salesman. And the bird and cage drawing on front. Classic. Like a dummy, I sold several copies, various editions. Need to round up another. I remember when copies sold new for about $2.00, a stack of them on a table in a small bookshop in Long Beach, CA where I used to do readings with a bunch of drunken poets.

Isn't it in 'South of No North'?
Yes and no. The excerpt of The Way The Dead Love in South of No North is longer, but the shorter bit in Sampler has a section that was cut out of South of No North. So there is a little bit in Sampler that isn't in South.

I seem to remember hearing that Blaz said that the tan edition was a bootleg of this release and not published with any authority.
That makes sense. I just looked at it and it has no publisher's info. It also seems thinner, but that could be due to paper differences. I don't have time to compare the contents at the moment.

Yes and no. The excerpt of The Way The Dead Love in South of No North is longer, but the shorter bit in Sampler has a section that was cut out of South of No North. So there is a little bit in Sampler that isn't in South.

No shit? Now I have a valid reason to get another copy of Sampler, aside from just wanting one. It'll have to be dirty cheap given my current finances, but I have my methods when it comes to finding rare books cheap. And no, I can't tell anyone what those methods are because then everyone would use them and they wouldn't work any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back