101ers (2 Viewers)

I know there is some interest in what we have labelled punk music on this list.
A friend gave me a copy of a live CD of the 101ers of which Joe Strummer was a member and (I guess the) leader.
I never knew Strummer was in a band other than the Clash.
It was interesting to hear so many Clash songs in this set and a version of Junco Partner that ended up on Sandinista.
I always liked Strummer-too bad he left earlier than I would have preferred.

101ers was only one of many bands Strummer was in pre-clash. They were all in bands before the Clash, but Strummer had the most experience being as he was a few years older than the rest of those guys.

101ers only released one single which was impossible to find - until the Clash became well known - then the market was flooded with millions of copies of the thing. Typical pub rock stuff, as I recall. Is the 101ers CD a bootleg?

Dug into the pile of dusty 45s. Found The 101ers "Keys to your Heart" on Chiswick (hey, The Count Bishops!) and "Sweet Revenge" on Big Beat, both UK labels.

To make this a little more "all things Bukowski" does anyone know if Strummer read Bukowski? I seem to remember a story, probably the epic Lester Bangs article, that noted Strummer was reading Sven Hassell. Sven did a series of World War Two novels on a German unit, mostly at the Eastern Front as I remember. I read a few. Generic. Neck shooting your captives stands out. (Ah to be 22 and not too bright, again, rather than 50 and not too bright.)

I know about Sven Hazel. He was a danish writer who fought for Germany in the war. His first novel was largely written by a ghost writer named Georg Gjedde. The rest of the novels was written together with his wife, although she wasn't credited. His war novels has proved to be very popular and one of them was made into a movie, "Wheels of Terror" (1987), starring Oliver Reed ans David Carradine. You can buy it on both video and DVD...

Last edited by a moderator:
Title is Elgin Ave Breakdown Revisited.
No it's not a bootleg it's distributed by EMI EMI
It even has copyright control written all over it...we'll see

Excellent liner notes I found it particularly interesting that Richard "snakehips Dudanski ( brief time in PIL) had a chance to join Clash but didn't like their manager-he wins Pete Best for a day.
I assume most Clash fans know this but just in case-Paul Simonon is currently with The Good the Bad and the Queen.
http://www.thegoodthebadandthequeen.com/index.php?cat=1

I just read that Julien Temple has made (or is making) a documentary on Strummer called, The Future is Unwritten.

Tfiu

I have always loved that phrase "The future is unwritten" from the moment I read it on the album cover.
My other favourite phrase that runs along the same track is Jon Voight in Runaway Train "You don't know what you can do!!!
(I know should be a new thread)
I'll be looking for that documentary. I imagine/hope it will play Toronto once released.

Dug into the pile of dusty 45s. Found The 101ers "Keys to your Heart" on Chiswick (hey, The Count Bishops!) and "Sweet Revenge" on Big Beat, both UK labels.

To make this a little more "all things Bukowski" does anyone know if Strummer read Bukowski? I seem to remember a story, probably the epic Lester Bangs article, that noted Strummer was reading Sven Hassell. Sven did a series of World War Two novels on a German unit, mostly at the Eastern Front as I remember. I read a few. Generic. Neck shooting your captives stands out. (Ah to be 22 and not too bright, again, rather than 50 and not too bright.)

I think I read in a Clash biog (there are so many of them around!!!) that Joe Strummer was in to William Burroughs but i can't recollect any mention of Buk.
If any of you get the chance, there are a few bootlegs of Strummer doing a few good Woody Guthrie numbers around the time of the 101's

I think I read in a Clash biog (there are so many of them around!!!) that Joe Strummer was in to William Burroughs but i can't recollect any mention of Buk.
And the Clash did some tracks with Allen Ginsberg, some of which wound up on Sandinista! Not exactly the high point of that record, to me, but it's still a loopy, overblown masterpiece.

If any of you get the chance, there are a few bootlegs of Strummer doing a few good Woody Guthrie numbers around the time of the 101's

Well I found the story by Lester Bangs on The Clash in Carburetor Dung. A 1977 NME series of stories. And I quote:
"Joe kills the dull van hours with Nazitrocity thrillers by Sven Hassel, Mick is just about to start reading Kerouac's The Subterraneans but borrows my copy of Charles Bukowski's new book Love Is a Dog from Hell instead which flips him out so next two days he keeps passing it around the van trying to get the other guys to read certain poems like the one about the poet who came onstage to read and vomited in the grand piano instead (and woulda done it again too) but they seem unimpressed, Joe wrapped up in his stormtroopers and Paul spliffing in bigeyed space monkey glee...."
bp

Oh man, I remember that NME article. It was classic Lester Bangs, and the longest article about the Clash that had ever been written. But then Bangs could write 5000 words about cat food and it would still be interesting to read and make you laugh out loud a dozen times.

Bangs was great and it's a shame he didn't get to write more, especially some short stories or novels.

I guess it shouldn't be surpising but a lot of folks who were involved in the early punk/new wave times were fans of Bukowski which is evident by the people on this board also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back