"A Letter from Chuck Buck" by Felix Pollak in The Smith, no 7 (15 October 1966) (1 Viewer)

Johannes

Founding member
B. mentions this "parody letter" several times in his corresponcence.

Twice to John William Corrington:

"I'll mail you the Smith. Your name is mentioned in there. it is a parody of me, or whatever you call it. they pretend they have intercepted one of my letters. I write letters. [...] I think you might even call it a fun-piece except the satire is the sharp exaggeration bit, you know, and believe he detests my style and my guts - which is going to happen to all of us at one time, and it is part of the rocks in the shoes."

"thanks for return of The Smith. being attacked by men of no talent is only a bit enjoyable for me, to me."

- Living On Luck, pp. 74-75

And once to Carl Weissner:

"You know, it is amazing the ugly number of people in the lit. world hate me. no, don't send me to headshrinker. no complex. thing in present The Smith. AN INTERCEPTED LETTER FROM CHARLES BUK, something like that. but really the parody does NOT WRITE LIKE I WRITE. impossible. maybe I do write too many letters. maybe I do write too many poems. but it is simply a matter of energizing into the INCOMPLETE ABSOLUTE, you follow? yes, you do. it may be a flowing of shit, and yet within all the turds I feel is some tiny flower. you might have to look pretty hard."

- Screams From The Balcony, p. 292

This seems to be Felix Pollak.

And this is the question:

Does anybody have this parody letter somewhere? And would care to upload it? I would very much like to read it. Thanx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice now Felix Pollak has a 2 sentence bio on Wikipedia and "Charles Bukowski" pulls up 361,000 Google hits and has whole volumes of books by and about him... Not to mention a dynamic website like bukowski.net.

hmmmm....

Bill

www.felixpollak.com is probably still available if anyone wants to register it...

Notice now Felix Pollak has a 2 sentence bio on Wikipedia and "Charles Bukowski" pulls up 361,000 Google hits and has whole volumes of books by and about him... Not to mention a dynamic website like bukowski.net.

hmmmm....

www.felixpollak.com is probably still available if anyone wants to register it...

Yeah, well, what was Sinatra singing:

That's life, that's what all the people say.
You're riding high in April,
Shot down in May
But I know I'm gonna change that tune,
When I'm back on top, back on top in June.

So, maybe someone registering www.felixpollak.com would put him in June.

cirerita said:
I had that one copied while at Buffalo, but it's in a big pile of "unprocessed" copies...

I didn't want to name names but was secretly looking towards Spain with my humble request, I admit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back