A look at class in the movie Barfly (1 Viewer)

Black Swan

Abord the Yorikke!
I just re-watched the movie Barfly last night and became aware of the many references to class in the script written by Bukowski.
Remember Henry saying :"I am a bum.What do you want me to do, write about the suffering of the upper classes? " Tully says: " Well , it may be news to you, but they suffer too". Henry replies:" nobody suffers like the poor"...
I think that was cool!

If you find those references interesting you might like to read Russell Harrisons book on Bukowski - Against the American Dream.
It talks about the many references to class in Buks work.

Thank you for the info ROC. Wiil definitely look into finding a copy. My son is doing a master in Anthrop. on the working class and gender . He has already used Bukowski on several occasions in his thesis.

Well he would get a heap of stuff from the Harrison book then.
Let me know what you think after you've had a read.
Opinion seems fairly divided around here as to the value of this title.

I just re-watched the movie Barfly last night and became aware of the many references to class in the script ...
I think that was cool!
Ever notice the references to angels (the drug dealers of the masses...)?
page 86: Wanda: I'm going to die. I just saw this angel: He came to take me.
page 89: Wanda: I'll look for the job. I just don't understand that angel. I bet you don't believe I saw him (The neon horse flaps his wings in the distance).
page 92: Bum: The pleasure is more than mine sir - and my lady. [...]
Wanda: See, the angels are everywhere.
Henry: It's time those fuckers came out of hiding.

Yeah I liked the neon sign flashing outside the window, the red winged horse

Wanda in Barfly is Betty in Post Office
referring to class, P.111

"I'll bet if that were the president or governor or mayor or some rich son of a bitch, there would be doctors all over that room doing something! Why do you let them die? What's the sin in being poor?"

If you find those references interesting you might like to read Russell Harrisons book on Bukowski - Against the American Dream.
It talks about the many references to class in Buks work.

i've seen that book at my library.
i think i'm going to pick it up sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back