An Answer to a Critic of Sorts (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
Does anyone know anything about this broadside?

This about all I ever see out there:
(np): (np) [c. 1970]., 1970. First edition. First edition. 11 x 8 1/2 inch broadside.

I finally ordered a copy of Krumhansl yesterday, just so I can learn more about the stuff I can't find elsewhere. Turns out I bought it from Seamus Cooney.

answer.jpg

Does anyone know anything about this broadside?
It's the same poem as To A Critic Of Sorts, from Me and Your Sometimes Love Poems, a beloved favorite of @Purple Stickpin.

In Me and Your Sometimes Love Poems it's noted as being first published in Stooge, so I suspect this broadside comes from the makers of Stooge. Stooge was edited by Laura Chester and Geoffrey Young and published out of Oconomowoc Lake, WI.

Stooge #2 was published in January 1972, and the last issue I could find any information for was #9 in 1974. Funny story about #9:

Geoffrey co-edited an issue of the magazine Stooge with Allen Schiller. Schiller’s idea was to do a box of broadsides, put the broadsides in an empty pizza box, decorate each one by hand, and call it Issue Nine. The issue included a poem by Bukowski...

Debritto listed somewhere Bukowski appearing in Stooge in 1969, but that seems unlikely if #2 was published in 1972. Stooge 2 seems the most likely source, considering Me and Your Sometimes Love Poems was also done in 1972.

There's a copy of Stooge 2 on Amazon for $40 if you're feeling lucky. ;)
ir

stooge.jpg

For the record, that poem is pretty good, and it's rather buried in Me and Your Sometimes Love Poems (MaYSLP - we need another acronym, don't we?). I stand by my overall contempt for that particular publication (and I own two copies).

thanks zobraks, have read The Continual Condition quite a few times but did not remember it...must be the early onset of dementia or that Martin butchered it so well it became a whole new poem.

Does anyone know anything about this broadside? This about all I ever see out there: (np): (np) [c. 1970]., 1970. First edition. First edition. 11 x 8 1/2 inch broadside.
Well, I think the reason there's little information about this broadside is because it's not, strictly speaking, a broadside. It would appear to be part of a magazine issue where each poem was printed on a separate page.

stooge14380287.jpg
stooge14565928.jpg

stooge14380284.jpg

stooge1438006.jpg

And I'm 99% sure it's an issue of Stooge (which was mentioned earlier in the thread).

stooge5.jpg

It's probably Stooge #5, as the database says it should be, since there are a couple of other sheets in the issue that feature the number 5. It's all a bit like a puzzle, but everything points to the "broadside" being a page of Stooge #5.

I found these pics on Flickr, in some random pics from the USC archive.

All the Stooge issues I saw while doing my research on B were undated. I think that Stooge #3 --featuring 5 poems by B-- came out in late 1969. That date is solely based on the Young-Bukowski correspondence, but it could be wrong.

"An Answer to a Critic of Sorts" appeared in Stooge #5, which seems to have been published in 1970. Again, this is based on the Young-Bukowski correspondence.

Most of the Bukowski poems in Me and Your Sometime Love Poems were written in early 1971. If Bukowski chose to include "A Critic of Sorts" in that chapbook at that time, chances are Stooge #5 was actually published in 1970.

Btw, "An Answer to a Critic of Sorts" was finally collected in On Love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back