Anarchy in the UK (1 Viewer)

Just wondered but to all the people on here not based in the UK, have the recent riots, looting, civil unrest and general twattery made much of an impact on the news in the rest of the world?

Big front page headline in one local daily yesterday because no one in our riot (Stanley Cup, two months ago) has been charged yet and people have been charged, and apparently sentenced already, in the UK. We get BBC news on t.v. so lots of coverage if you want to watch.

http://acidcow.com/pics/22915-hilarious-photoshopped-london-looter-images-46.html

I know it's silly, but some of these made me laugh. However, on a serious note, I'm disgusted by the way people are jumping on the right-wing bandwagon (i.e. blaming immigrants etc). I also think the media have once again shown themselves to be the horny vultures that they are. Most people on here probably don't give a shit about the state of our little island, so I'll stop my soapboxing there.

Btw, does anyone want to buy some Bukowski books; they're slightly smoke damaged, but otherwise in good nick. I've also got a few toasters.

Yeah, those pics are funny I must admit.
To be honest with you the whole nature of the debate has depressed me. There's been the inevitable reaction from both sides of the political spectrum with (some of) the left making excuses re: social deprivation and also blaming the cuts being made by the government whilst of the other side of the coin you have people making out it's almost an exclusively black / Afro-Caribbean problem. I'm just glad it never kicked off up my neck of the woods (NE England). People have died over this and that in itself (given the catalyst and, in my view, the blatantly opportunistic theft that seems to have been the main driving force) must make these the most pathetic riots in the history of the country. That's not to mention the independent traders who have seen their businesses destroyed. It seems to have calmed down now anyway.

Big front page headline in one local daily yesterday because no one in our riot (Stanley Cup, two months ago) has been charged yet and people have been charged, and apparently sentenced already, in the UK. We get BBC news on t.v. so lots of coverage if you want to watch.
I don't think anyone has been caught making out during the ones here yet ;)

Despite the vulgar scenes we've seen, it's lightened my heart to see the Libyans taking full advantage with some cheeky comments. I liked one move in which they've filed a report with the UN to protect the protesters from repression.

"These demonstrations show that the British people reject this government which is trying to impose itself through force," he said, urging the U.N. Security Council "not stay with its arms crossed in the face of the flagrant violation of the rights of the British people." (Libyan Foreign Minister)

Although the strangest story came from a bit of storytelling from Russia:

'One Russian media outlet reportedly described even more dramatic, if somewhat fictitious scenes, claiming that the looting of London's zoo had released dangerous animals onto the street. The Rossiya 24 report, picked up by the BBC's international news monitoring service, was denied by zoo officials.'

I've also seen a few Americans commenting on how it doesn't really compare to the LA riots. Well, it's the London Olympics next year, maybe we need a new event, 'Ritoting'. And, I suppose, we'll probably get it (albeit being officiated by the police).

it's the London Olympics next year, maybe we need a new event, 'Rioting'.
Just send us the gold medals, no need to hold that event. But it's not a fair competition, since half of this city is armed and they won't let people in London have guns.

You know who would place last in that event? Japan. They didn't even have the sense to loot after their earthquake/tsunami. What a waste.

Most people on here probably don't give a shit about the state of our little island...

I do give a shit. My bloodline traces back to the little Island. Music, poetry, prose and such I'm affixed to. But we as Westerns are weak - it's educated in to our souls. The rest of the world takes advantage of that. The likes of the Chinese are laughing at us. True rot begins from within - not a popular notion but it is what it is. The UK riots should be met with a cleansing of fire and live bullets (fuck the rubber alternative) to restore peace. Oops, I'm a backward degenerate for speaking in such a way.

I don't think anyone has been caught making out during the ones here yet ;)

They're just a bunch of pussies. No passion.

Seems like social media, Blackberry to be specific, is getting part of the blame. Messages can't be traced, or so they say. So that's how to organize a riot these days. Back in 1972 the Clark Park gang in East Van got ready to storm the Stones concert. Molotov cocktails, the works, and all without a cell phone.

And what's going on in Philadelphia? Flash mobs for violent purposes? Curfews? More social media being used for that as well. Apparently. Or so I heard on the radio before leaving for work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back