Another Blast From the Past Again (1 Viewer)

As if I don't have multiple versions of many releases; original, remastered, re-remastered, etc. The best band not in the R&R HoF is re- re- re- releasing Made in Japan: http://www.deeppurple.com/deep-purple-deluxe-edition-seminal-live-album-made-japan-due-may/
What bugs me is that there's no track listing. There is a CD out there that I think is legit that contains all three night's material - so, is this that, or just the original track listing (or the expanded track listing from the version with encores)?

Bugger it all. (I'll be buying it, of course.)

I loved that record when I was a kid. It's funny you should mention it though, because I was thinking about it just the other day, and I don't know if I could listen to it again. It's pretty indulgent. The songs, as I recall, are reeeeeeeally long.

But yeah, I wore that record out. That and Machine Head.

Whenever I listen to Made in Japan now I get the equivalent to a lsd-flashback and am instantly intoxicated. I have been drunk listening to this album a zillion times.

The cheapest beer you can get, the taste of greasy sausages, cigarettes, Beavis-and-Butt-Head-like disputes about music and life and everything and the intro of "Space Trucking" coming up through car speakers ... ah, memories.

It was one of the few things that let you survive in the shitty Austrian countryside of my youth.

Last edited:
...and I don't know if I could listen to it again. It's pretty indulgent. The songs, as I recall, are reeeeeeeally long.
It is a strong record - even after all these years. I wouldn't normally suggest this, but just put it on while you're doing something else (other than operating a table saw or puttin' bullets in a posthumous poetry collection) and let it filter through the house. I guarantee you'll perk your ears up at some point and think "Damn, that's a hot groove."

I suppose you could consider it to be indulgent (it was 1972, of course), but last night I listened to a Dead version of Truckin'--> The Other One--> Me and Bobby McGee--> The Other One that clocks in at ~52 minutes, so Space Truckin' at a few ticks under 20 minutes hardly seems indulgent to me. :rollfool:

It was one of the few things that let you survive in the shitty Austrian countryside of my youth.
It's funny, for those of us in the U.S. who have never been to Austria, we think of majestic snow-capped mountains and orderly little children from The Sound of Music - what you describe as the shitty Austrian countryside.

Last edited:
It's funny, for those of us in the U.S. who have never been to Austria, we think of majestic snow-capped mountains and orderly little children from The Sound of Music - what you describe as the shitty Austrian countryside.

That's all there.

As one of our most famous writers said: "Nature is as beautiful as it can be, the people make you want to commit suicide."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back