Any connections between Bukowski and Bob Dylan?

Discussion in 'All things Bukowski' started by Montana, Nov 3, 2007.

1. I don't know of any; but this line from one of Bob's little known songs sometimes reminds me of Buk.

"Oh, the only decent thing I did when I worked as a postal clerk
    Was to haul your picture down off the wall near the cage where I used to work.
    Was I a fool or not to try to protect your identity?
    You looked a little burned out, my friend,
    I thought it might be up to me."

....bobdylan.com/moderntimes/songs/uptome.html

This song would have been written in the mid-70s...a few years after Post Office had come out.

2. B. wrote a throwaway poem titled "Bob Dylan", putting Dylan down, of course ;)

3. Do you have the poem?

I've never seen it, would love to read it though.

4. I thought the line was, "Was I a fool or not to protect your real identity?" Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. But I think bobdylan.com has it wrong.

I know because I'm really old, you see.

5. at least I heard your bluebird sing.

[​IMG]

(thanks to mjp for the photo)

zobraks and PhillyDave like this.
  6. Well there's your connection right there.

7. who's the fat bloke with the beard ?

8. I recall Buk saying he (from faullty memory) that he preferred Donavon over Dylan-felt Dylan was a poser.
    He had that one backwards-at least Dylan never wrote a song call Neutronica or me me me me I love you

9. more of a sibelius man I think.

10. "Up to Me" was left off of Blood on the Tracks due to time constraints (or corporate greed), and that's a good testament to the strength of that album, as Up to Me is a great song. I've loved it ever since I got Biograph in 1985.

I never made a connection between the postal clerk reference and Buk, but it could be inspired Post Office. Then again, Dylan used a large number of obscure references to all sorts of things plucked from the ether.

11. Thanks for all the replies. Actually, I recently found out via Google that Dylan read Buk's poem 'A Radio With Guts' on his Theme Time radio show discussing the theme of 'radio'...

12. Erik

Erik If u don't know the poetry u don't know Bukowski First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

He also quotes Buk on the jail-theme program, you know the one that goes:

13. I dont think buk really rated BD. He said he only wrote one good poem about a tree or something hehehe

14. In Women, Chinaski gets into a car with Valerie (the jewish women, I think thats her name--I could be wrong) and the radio was blasting a song by Bob Dylan.

Up until this post, that was the only Bob Dylan reference I heard Buk make.

15. Bob Dylan said on his "theme hour" radio show tonight that Bukowski was a "fat old bore who couldn't write his way out of a paper bag."

I thought it was a bit harsh myself.

16. from a man who rates Ginsberg. Case rested

17. Over at the Bob Dylan forum "Expecting Rain" I found some bits form Dylan's "Theme Time Radio Hour" where he reads Bukowski, an excerpt from "Radio with Guts" and "Some People" in it's entity. Priceless stuff.

I love how Dylan ends it all:

"Charles Bukowski, what else?"

"Charles Bukowski, voice of the madmen."

That phrasing...

18. nice find, Ghado!

19. thanks, baby.

20. On the right? Alan Ginsberg.

On the left? Dunno.

21. i think michael mcclure and robbie robertson

22. Is the Dylan, Ginsberg and Bukowski photo real or not?

gbsupbowl likes this.