• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Barfly Paperback w/Faye Dunaway's Signature - Anyone? (1 Viewer)

esart

esart.com
Founding member
I have a rough paperback of Barfly, which looks to be a first edition. I bought it new in 1987, carried it around and memorized it.

Then, a few months after Hank died, my mom was working at a post production place as a receptionist and she called me one day to tell me that Faye Dunaway was in there doing some voice over work.

So, I grabbed my copy of Barfly and drove down to Burbank to meet her.

My mom was getting her water on her breaks, so she knew when it was cool to sneak in there and I got her at an opportune moment, complimenting her work on the film. She really appreciated it and didn't mind signing the book at all. She understood that I was primarily a Bukowski fan and even asked if I was sure that I wanted her to sign the inside of his book.

We talked a little bit about Rourke too. She seemed to act apologetic for him. She did mentioned that Mr. Bukowski wasn't happy with his performance. I said that I thought it was the best performance Mickey ever did, regardless. Faye said, "You really think so?" as if she cared what I thought.

I let her go back to work as soon as I possibly could and that was that.

Anyway, this paperback has a good amount of wear on it. Not horribly but enough. She also signed it, "To Carol, Lots of Love, Faye Dunaway."

If anyone is interested, please let me know. I will post pics and you can make me an offer.

I'd also appreciate any advice on trying to sell it.

Thanks.

You'd probably do best selling it on ebay. Put a $50 reserve on it or piss into the wind like mjp and start it at $1 and see what happens. I took a quick look around and Ms. Dunaway doesn't seem to have a fan site like many actresses, so there's no real outlet that way. As with most inscriptions, unless you can find a Dunaway fan named Carol, the inscription/signature doesn't help much; and with the condition, well...

For what it's worth, I thought Faye Dunaway's work in Barfly was excellent and Rourke did nothing to make me think of Bukowski beyond the obvious references to squalor, fighting, fake drinking (it takes a very talented non-drinker to play an extremely talented drunk writer, and he ain't it in my book), et alia. But overall, I'm not a big fan of Barfly. The book is always better than the movie has no better poster child than Barfly, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back