Best movie moments (1 Viewer)

Johannes

Founding member
Sorry for yet another video-thread, but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else. Please feel free to remove if it sucks.

Meanwhile, here comes the greatest wedding ceremony in film history, imho:

Little Murders (1971) - Wedding Ceremony (Added clip details - YouTube clips tends to disappear, Ed.)

My favorite part:

Now, just last month, I married a novelist to a painter. Everyone at the wedding ceremony was under the influence of an hallucinogenic drug. The drug quickened our mental responses, slowed our physical responses, and the whole ceremony took two days to perform. Never have the words had such meaning!

maybe Bogart's (or anybody's) best 10 seconds on screen, after the You played it for her, you can play it for me speech and Sam starts to play As Time Goes By. Bogart chokes up, starts to protest (is he going to say Elsa?) and seems like he's going to ask Sam to stop playing. great natural performance. George Raft, if he had accepted the role, would have fucked it up and made it wooden. I'm not saying Bogart is the best actor ever, but this small moment ranks as one of the truest moments ever captured on film.

or maybe I've seen Casablanca too many times. heh.

[This video is unavailable.]

Good one, hoochmonkey9. Didn't Marlon Brando say something like, in all his movies Bogart simply played himself all the time, but somebody had to do it.

Here's another one for you. The "Chicken Dinner Scene" from Eraserhead

The film was a box office dud. Charles Laughton's one and only film he directed (though he did some minor directorial work on one other film).

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains

"They've got such big plans for the world, but they don't include us!"

The pivotal scene in one of the best rock and roll movies ever made. Pre-MTV, pre-Riotgrrl, a 15 year old (!) Diane Lane gives an absolutely perfect performance. This was only released in a couple cities and even then only briefly, because average moviegoers didn't know what to make of it. For 25 years it was a notorious bootleg video and many of the women in the second (and third, and fourth) wave of punk cited it as an influence. Rhino finally released it on DVD a couple of years ago.

If the scene below seems corny to you, remember that this was made in 1979, and trust me, no women in bands were talking like this. None. That includes the handful of women in the still young punk rock scene.

I love the movie for a lot of reasons (if you've ever been on a no-budget tour you'll see the truth in every frame), but whenever I see it I am in awe of Lane's talent at an age when most of us were jerking off in junior high school.

The film is "Georgia". I saw this a few years ago. I didn't like the film so much but there was a scene when Jennifer Jason Leigh sings Take Me Back by Van Morrison. I search the net in vain trying to find the video. I remember getting chills from that 8 1/2 minute version of the song.
All I could find is Almost Blue by Costello.

Georgia is an awesome movie, and that scene where she sings the Van Morrison song near the end will give you goosebumps indeed. In the context of the movie...not because it's a great performance.

I've never watched Georgia, but this seems a very intense interpretation. Interesting. Will try to catch the movie.

This one is kind of corny too, but here it comes: The guitar duel at the end of Crossroads where Ralph - Karate Kid - Macchio beats the devils guitarist (played by Steve Vai!) with his interpretation of Paganinis 5th Caprice. All the guitar parts are played by Steve Vai, except the slide guitar, which is brought to you by no one less than Ry Cooder! I have been drunk watching this about 200000000 times and you all have to love it now. Sorry.

This scene from The Singing Detective always gives me goosebumps.
Recently saw the whole series again on DVD.
Mesmerizing.

Big soft spot for this film. Plus the boyhood crush I had for Judy Geeson. Heh.

Not seen this film in decades and I'm pretty sure it's best remembered in the context of the time it came out but dug it and the soundtrack, too.

Good stuff.

If you've ever flown, at least a few times, this has had to happen to you. I remember seeing this for the first time and thinking, damn, I thought I was the only one to go through this stuff. Anyway, pretty classic funny moment from Stiller. The sound is messed up on the one I included here, but it's the only one on youtube that allowed embedding. For a better quality version,

one of my favourite title sequences. maybe it's because it uses Picasso, Giacometti and Francis Bacon. or the weird improvised music. or that it's so crazy it's good. I dunno.

I rented this film a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much.
It seemed that it came out of nowhere, the subject being so original. It is about a man, from a small german town who is an accordian player. He is forced to retire from the salt mines and discovers zydeco music on the radio.
He entertain and cooks for his old buddies. It is called "Schultze Gets The Blues".

I rented this film a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much.
It seemed that it came out of nowhere, the subject being so original. It is about a man, from a small german town who is an accordian player. He is forced to retire from the salt mines and discovers zydeco music on the radio.
He entertain and cooks for his old buddies. It is called "Schultze Gets The Blues".

That is an odd yet entertaining movie that I enjoyed. A German movie, isn't it?

As I have the head full of Nick Cave since I have seen him last month with his parallel band Grinderman, the scene to which I first think is the Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds gig scene at the end of Wim Wenders' Wings of desire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember being fascinated by "The Illustrated Man". I found a VHS copy of this movie on ebay. It is totally dated, but that's is why I like it. You can watch the whole thing on you tube. Here is the first part. Love Rod Steiger.

That is an odd yet entertaining movie that I enjoyed. A German movie, isn't it?
Yes! I enjoyed it too, because it was odd.

Ruth Gordon!

That's from one of my favorite movies, "Where's Poppa?" BTW.

Antichrist from Lars von Trier was the first movie I ever went to where two women left the cinema during the film because the couldn't stand it (my guess, maybe they just had to pee and got lost outside).

I had mixed feelings concerning this movie, but you got to give von Trier credit for that. When the Fox scene came, the whole cinema jumped, although shocking in a way like that is the oldest of all old horror-movie-tricks. But maybe the point is, that Antichrist is no horror movie, only masterly filmed like one.

I don't know. I am still not sure what I should think about it.

I went to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre at the theater and probably the most I'd ever seen exit early. One girl went running for the door and her boyfriend followed yelling, "Sorry, baby, I'm sorry!" Ha! What did these dumbasses expect or think they were going to see?
Anyway, back to Antichrist. Mixed feelings about the film, also, but one thing I do like about Lars von Trier is he demands much from his actors - he wants them to practice the art of acting. You're not going to walk away from his films feeling you just watched cookie cutter bland performances.

A good friend of mine called yesterday to tell me that he had JUST sold a set of noise cancelling headphones to Nick Cave in Minneapolis Airport. He paid with a credit card and they require a photo ID, so he showed a passport. He said that he was trying to put in a good word for me, but decided against it, which is a good move. Nick Cave does not seem to like conversation with fans, and that would not have gone well....

the music from the movie is great. the movie itself is very good until the disappointing ending. Jeff Bridges is one of the the best actors working. I am now only talking in short declarative sentences. live with it. or not. your call.

time for bed.

heh.

Two reasons I love the French: my favorite Aunt passed away a short time ago (she was born and raised in Saint-Maur-des-Fossés) and this film which I've viewed more than any other. I'm a hapless romantic sad fuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stavrogin, three of my ex's were obsessed with Amelie, and when I say obsessed, I mean absurdly obsessed. I'm sure you could pick up the ladies if you shared this secret of yours with the female sex.

It's no secret. I'm pretty sure at least one of those ex's was telling you something you wasn't (bad grammer?) listening to hear. When it comes to relationships women are most likely the wiser. Trust me when I tell you there's at least one of the three you need to revisit. But choose wisely - the other two will have you shoving a gun to your upper palate.

I forgot the penis. You also got to give von Trier credit for the penis in the opening scene ;)
I just watched The Antichrist.
The opening scene had a Mapplethorpe bluntness, and the end something of Bruegel, when all these women come out of the woods.
I am also not sure if the agglomeration of symbols was needed,
but the cinematography was exquisite.

Some cineast explained to me that you must never forget that Antichrist was dedicated to Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky and that you can't understand it completely without knowing that.

I haven't seen anything by Tarkovsky, not even Solaris, so I'll probably not unterstand Antichrist completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back