beware the average man (1 Viewer)

Hi
Was after the complete words to a Buk poem which had, as part of it "beware the average man". Can you help

Regards Rick

Rick,

"Genius of the Crowd" is the name of the poem. If you are not looking to spend $3000 of the chapbook, you can get it in Roominghouse Madrigals or Run With The Hunted.

Best,
Bill

The Genius Of The Crowd
Charles Bukowski

there is enough treachery, hatred violence absurdity in the average
human being to supply any given army on any given day

and the best at murder are those who preach against it
and the best at hate are those who preach love
and the best at war finally are those who preach peace

those who preach god, need god
those who preach peace do not have peace
those who preach peace do not have love

beware the preachers
beware the knowers
beware those who are always reading books
beware those who either detest poverty
or are proud of it
beware those quick to praise
for they need praise in return
beware those who are quick to censor
they are afraid of what they do not know
beware those who seek constant crowds for
they are nothing alone
beware the average man the average woman
beware their love, their love is average
seeks average

but there is genius in their hatred
there is enough genius in their hatred to kill you
to kill anybody
not wanting solitude
not understanding solitude
they will attempt to destroy anything
that differs from their own
not being able to create art
they will not understand art
they will consider their failure as creators
only as a failure of the world
not being able to love fully
they will believe your love incomplete
and then they will hate you
and their hatred will be perfect

like a shining diamond
like a knife
like a mountain
like a tiger
like hemlock

their finest art

beware the average man

Bukowski was a rare sort but surely his work is 'for the common man' it is certain 'of the common man' - it brought poetry down into the everyday streets....

I suppose this is why we should beware the average manHe is just as dangerous as the elite.
:eek:

At the risk of sounding like a preacher or a knower (I?m not afraid of what I don?t know?disturbed, not afraid) or someone always reading books (I probably watch more television than read) and I don?t want to seem like I?m quick to censure (at least I?m not preaching peace or god, thank the gods) and I?m not seeking praise (although donations are graciously accepted), but I felt compelled (by love, not hate, ha) to point out that there are a few typos in the poem rendering.

those who preach peace do not have peace
those who preach peace do not have love

those who preach love do not have love

{The other reading makes Buk look a little flat-footed; not that he wouldn?t do something like that on purpose, for effect.}

beware those who are quick to censor
beware those who are quick to censure:

{understandable}

I know this was downloaded from the web and from a site I, for one, would think was trustworthy; just as I?m sure you did, Bill, so I was surprised by them, the site, getting it wrong. (I fully assume you just grabbed it on the fly, figuring they had it right.)

Then, as I researched this problem further, I found at least THIRTY sites that downloaded from the same folks (and quit looking after that; as I had 21,600 hits for the title) and were proliferating the errors contained therein (not to mention the wipe-out of the formatting that Buk laid out.) So, I thought I would go and send messages to everyone who had it wrong, and then realized I?d better get some work done today, so I?m just telling you here, and leaving the rest to the Internet Police.

SD

Then, as I researched this problem further, I found at least THIRTY sites that downloaded from the same folks (and quit looking after that; as I had 21,600 hits for the title) and were proliferating the errors contained therein (not to mention the wipe-out of the formatting that Buk laid out.)
Multiply that by a million or so and you get some idea of the song lyric sites out there. They all feed from the same polluted pool and everything on the internet is wrong. ;)

Well, almost everything, it seems at times. It is frightening that people consider extremely flawed sources such as wikipedia to be authoritative.

Isn't it interesting how Bukowski trips over the word "absurdity" whenever reading aloud? Is it possible he never uttered the word, but used it only in writing? Or maybe he just went around saying 'absurbity' and everyone figured he was drunk to know the difference... :-)

In listening to Bukowski read "Genius of the Crowd" two different times in two different settings, he constantly trips over the word 'absurdity'...it just seems strange...and it's really quite funny when he begins to try and say it correctly and screws it up even worse :) Give me another hit of that beer...

Have none of you heard the spoken word album "Uncensored"?
The album contains readings and interview/chats in between. Absolutely amazing to listen to; This is the old calm Bukowski. Being friendly, bantering and being sober. But the point is that he reads "Genius of the Crowd" and he is actually corrected on the pronounciaton of that word, absurdity. It is really sweat cause he wasn't aware of it, and both the recording manager/interviewer and Linda Lee Bukowski (nee Beighle) try to coax Buk into getting it right. He fumbles a bit, but eventually manages to pronounce it.

He did indeed get softer and softer. From a chauvinist with grandiose designs (or at least the image of it) to a sweet old man.

Hope that cleared that up. I had to registrer just to tell y'all this. And since you haven't, you really should purchase/borrow "Uncensored"

oh dear, my first post and I get an ear full :( this reminds me why I tend to stay away from these forums. and here I thought a Bukowski dedicated message board would be different and message-board-sexually-frustrated-nerd-free, my bad.
the point wasn't to plug the album, but to answer the question posed, even if the thread was old.

well, that was my first and last post then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back