Boxing (1 Viewer)

And if you're hungry for more there's, "Mike Tyson - The Untold Story", in 11 parts:

And then there's, "The Mike Tyson Story, documentary", in 8 parts:

And there's, "Mike Tyson Beyond The Glory", in 11 parts:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got Tyson to watch but haven't got round to it yet. I also remember seeing that Naseem doc a while ago.
When We Were Kings is a must watch for any boxing fan - about The Rumble in the Jungle and the lead up to it. A lot of you will probably have seen it before. A good companion to it is Norman Mailer's The Fight.
Another is Fabulous Four - about the fights in the 80s that took place between Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran. Classic.

A couple boxing books in line to be read at some point are The Big Fights (Avon, 1950) and In This Corner by Peter Heller.

And, of course, there is the fighter Bukowski mentioned at least once: Two Ton Tony Galento:

and the

with Max Baer in 1940.

I cannot wait to see James Toback's documentary. Tyson has always fascinated me.

Has anyone ever seen footage of Jake LaMotta ? I saw one clip (I forget the opponent) and he was kicking this guy's ass so bad, I had to look away for a few seconds. It wasn't boxing, it was a beating and I couldn't believe the referee didn't step in sooner. But those were the days. Probably the TV network or the mob paid the ref to stand by as long as possible to put on a "good" show. Whew - talk about a tough day on the job.....

Just watched Tyson and I found it very well done. I found him honest and bare.
I like to watch boxing matches for some reason. Although it does not make sense to me to get knocked out or knock someone down. I admire the style and discipline.

Boxing Bukowski, what is this?

Bukowski and the boxing Kangaroo, Rodger Jacobs, April 25, 2009

http://carversdog.wordpress.com/2009/04/25/bukowski-and-the-boxing-kangaroo/

In his younger and more vulnerable years Bukowski's father gave him some advice that he had been turning over in his mind ever since.

"Whenever you feel you've seen the worst shit life has to offer," his father told the young lad, "just be thankful that you never had to box a kangaroo."

908-2.jpg

very good book on Liston. and boxing in general.

Nick Tosches also wrote Hellfire: The Jerry Lee Lewis story which I found quite entertaining. So that interests me, to read the Sonny Liston story. By the way does anyone know where to find the Fabulous four that Bruno mentioned above?

Fabulous Four seems to be on DVD (Region 2) from Amazon UK, but only on used VHS from the US site.

Might be worth getting a DVD to play on your PC (with VLC) depending on the postage.

Thanks Hank. I must be slow today, or I'm still elated with receiving the continual condition. I searched U.S. amazon and did not see it there, but see it thanks to your link. I think I'll pick up the VHS copy when I save some dough(or recycle some cans.) I grew up watching those fights.

Nope. He's a genuine Bukowski copy cat. Maybe he could play Bukowski in a movie and get away with it better than Rourke and Dillon.

Last edited by a moderator:
angulo_vs_kirkland_poster_large.jpg

just watched this fight from last month. one of the best fights I've seen in a loooong time.

"assault in the ring" HBO doc

everyone loses in this one.

[This video is unavailable.]

BD- The above mentioned book is really good. Have you read Tosches before? He is a brilliant, white hot, one/two punch. I've read lots of his stuff. In the Hand of Dante, Dino, Where Dead Voices Gather are fucking excellent. It's a tie between Dante & Dead Voices for favorites, not just of his but just favorites. I have his latest Me and the Devil sitting around, waiting to be read. Guess I'll tear into it next.

Fucking magic that fight, if you'll excuse the vernacular.
I must have watched it about 30 times down the years. Ali somehow comes up with his own strategy to defeat the unbeatable. It's an even fight but that exchange at the end of the 5th is when the tide really turns. To me it shows why Ali is arguably the greatest of all time because it demonstrates what heart he had. It almost brings a tear to my eye when I view it.
It probably goes without saying but Norman Mailer's The Fight is well worth a read.

don't miss this is you haven't seen it -

Fucking magic that fight, if you'll excuse the vernacular. It probably goes without saying but Norman Mailer's The Fight is well worth a read.
?........
Didn't Hunter S Thompson write about this Foreman Ali fight ?
I have been trying to find that article or book.

i think the story was he went to cover it but got too wasted and missed the actual fight.

Anyone remember this character from KTLA, Channel 5 in L.A.? Dick Lane, who announced wrestling matches from the Olympic Auditorium? He was around all the time on TV when I was a kid. Can't remember if Buk ever mentions him, though of course he mentions the Olympic....

Dick_Lane_(TV_announcer).jpg

version of this classic fight without the announcers, just the crowd ambience, which is great.

leonard is a beast.

One of the first big fights I can remember watching as a kid was Leonard's comeback fight when he beat Hagler on points. I was absolutely in awe of him from that moment on. Every thought Hagler was unstoppable but the fight had shades of Ali's defeat of Foreman (in terms of a 'ring monster' being tamed by a classic 'boxer'). And of course Sugar Ray was also trained by the late, great Angelo Dundee.
Another good documentary which has some great footage is The Fabulous Four about the rivalry between Hearns, Halger, Leonard and Duran in what was a golden era for middleweight boxing. I know they fought at other weights too but you catch my drift.

i saw most of those in toronto arenas on close circuit - some great fights.

sugar ray was in toronto helping train a local fighter right before he came back and fought hagler. i watched him spar and work out at the hotel they were staying at.

the late 70's and early eighties was a great era in almost all divisions. every weight class had stars and alot of the fights were shown on tv.

Wow, that's pretty cool. And yes, a big part of that era was so many fights being shown on terrestrial TV, either live or the next morning after fights in Vegas or the like. They probably make more money now (in terms of pay-per-view) but the fighters don't have the wider profile beyond fight fans. People like Leonard and (especially) Ali before him transcending the sport and I think that was a big part of the reason for that. Of course they were great fighters too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back