"Bring Me Your Love" - a question of price (1 Viewer)

Hello all. New to this. Question: is ?150 a fair price for first (hardback) edition of Bukowski's "Bring Me Your Love" ? It's signed by both Bukowski and R. Crumb. I'm curious.

Sorry if I've posted this to the wrong place. Cheers.

abebooks.com is listing one for $650 U.S. (skyline books).
if that helps.
the one you're asking about is $280 U.S., approximately.
is it a lettered copy?
Edit: just checked Jeff Maser's catalogue and he lists a lettered, signed copy for $650 U.S.

Cheers. No, it's not lettered - it's numbered. What's the difference, I mean in terms of price / value, if it's numbered or lettered. Would I be right in thinking that the lettered copies are more costly - there being fewer?

361 numbered copies (350 #, 10 presentation & 1 file copy).
40 lettered (26 a-z, plus copies for author, illustrator, publisher, binder, file, etc.)
so, yes, lettered are more costly. how much more? got me. I defer to others more qualified here.

That, to me, is a cynical move, having a numbered and lettered edition that are identical with the exception of a hand written letter or number. If the signed edition is limited to 26 lettered copies, okay, that's valuable. It's very limited. If it's just 26 lettered copies on top of a few hundred more numbered copies - that's just wrong on the part of the publisher. They are targeting an audience that wants rarity, but they aren't really getting it.

Not to step on any toes, because I know Bill - and maybe others here? - have put out lettered editions alongside numbered editions. Just my opinion. If the lettered version is different than the numbered version I can see it. Otherwise I don't get it.

mjp, you do get it. publishing books is just ANOTHER business. BSP and Ecco didn't publish Bukowski to save the world, just to save their own asses so they could sit on comfortable places. so if numbering and lettering the SAME books means to get nicer & more comfy chaise loungues, then there you go. yep, I know, it's a reductionist view...

HI mjp,
No toes are being crushed, but I must say, that in my case, usually the lettered are extra special. They may have original art or they may be just signed. In the case of the issues of Bottle (#1 - #4), every broadside is signed by the poet. Some even have original artwork. As many of the poets are outside the US, that is another logistical issue. I do see your point about rarity. Truthfully, though, if the publisher does not sell them for slightly more, then the after market sellers sure will. Most of the copies of Bukowski's 'as Buddha smiles' were sold to my good customers by me for the $50 that the regular edition, even though the list price was $75.

In conclusion, I probably agree with your assesment more than I disagree with it. Of course, the publisher selling the lettered of Bukowski allowed him the funds to publish other authors that although he felt them deserving of publication, may not be profitable (this is my theory. No evidence to back it up). I once heard a statement that as far as Black Sparrow Press, Bukowski sold more for them than all of their other authors COMBINED. I think that this is realistic given that Bukowski and BSP were so intertwined. Many times, I will use money from projects that sell well (like the Bukowski & Bottle projects) to help me afford to publish what I think is an amazing, but unknown writer. I rarely worry about money and at the end of the year, rarely make any. Most books will not cost me, but once all is said and done, my labor is pennies. Just as I like it!

All best,
Bill (right-handed and almost in the poor house) Roberts

p.s. I'm not complaining about not making much money publishing. I love doing it and would do it even if I lost money. Of course, it would be a much harder sell to my wife....

bospress.net said:
HI mjp,
No toes are being crushed, but I must say, that in my case, usually the lettered are extra special. They may have original art or they may be just signed.

etc. etc.
I like the most limited versions....
Even for its different colored cloth backstrip et al.,
And sure,
It's the same material inside,
But to hold these.....
Ah man, :rolleyes:
I need to get me a warm body:D

bospress.net said:
...in my case, usually the lettered are extra special.
Well that makes sense. My gripe is when there is no difference except the number/letter (or a different colored strip of cloth). And the inflated prices usually come into play in the secondary market, as you pointed out, so I don't see the great benefit to the publisher.

I'm putting out a book next month, and there will be a lettered edition (which is partly why this caught my eye). But the lettered copies will be the only hardcovers. The rest are paper. To me, that's what a numbered/lettered edition is for. Something that's dramatically different from the non-limitation version.

But I'm no publisher, so as always, take my yammering with a bucket of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back