Bsp (1 Viewer)

Hope I'm not repeating an old thread...

why did JOHN MARTIN decide on BLACK SPARROW PRESS as the name to use for his publications?
Also (sorry, this is trivia...) who was the 2nd person BSP released after BUK and who was the last they published (before the 'new' version of BSP resurfaced...)

Hi,
Black sparrow was named after "Black Sun Press" and The poem "The Sparrow", by WCW (?). The second person pub'd by BSP was a broadside by Michael Forrest. The fial BSP release was The book of photos called "Bukowski".

Bill

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/07.04.02/blacksparrow-0227.html

has some info in regards to Martin's publishing.

the last book he has referred to is....

Asked whether he still comes across good writing these days, Martin strides into another room and returns with Black Sparrow's last book: Weep Not, My Wanton, short stories and poems by Maggie Dubris. "Wonderful writer," he says, "just what I always looked for. I mean, if I was going to go on, she'd be one of my best stars."

The second person pub'd by BSP was a broadside by Michael Forrest.
You must have Seamus Cooney's Black Sparrow Checklist. ;)

That's an interesting little book that lists the first 100 Black Sparrow publications. If you thought Black Sparrow was all Bukowski, the checklist shows that Martin published a lot of different writers from the very beginning of the press.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back