Bukowski's Ship Manifest 1923 (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
Nothing groundbreaking here, just kind of interesting. The only possibly new info is that the Address that they first lived at in Pasadena was 231 S. Hudson Ave. Not sure if that has been mentioned before. Is there a place for things like this? I have more interesting stuff like this...

[Dead link, please attach images and files. -ed.]

Bill

Think I saw that document before, via a site like ancestry.com?

Thanks for sharing Bill.

231 Hudson is an apartment building, but in 1922 that block was most likely all small craftsman homes. If you go south on Hudson you can see what the old neighborhood probably looked like.

1920 seems to have been a big year for building craftsmen in Los Angeles, and Pasadena has more of them still standing than any other part of town. In 1922 it may have still used gas lighting (the 1920 craftsman we rented in San Pedro still had all the old gas fittings).

Blah blah blah.

I've never seen that document before. Thanks a lot, Bill!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, exactly. In Los Angeles you can be easily shocked and duly impressed by the appearance of any building older than you are.

These are too large to post photos, but I have attached them..

Bukowski's Application for a Passport (1922).
Bukowski's US Census from 1930.

buk1923passportapp-edit.jpg

buk1930census.jpg

That census page is up here somewhere. The passport application is new (to me anyway) though. First time I've seen Coblenz as a residence.

It looks like as of the date of the application (March 28, 1922) he was in Coblenz (apparently that was the spelling at the time) as a civilian employee of the Army. If he got to Germany in May of 1918, he would have seen about six moths of actual fighting, since WWI ended in the fall of 1918. Then who knows what he did as a "civilian employee." I don't think troops would stay deployed long after the armistice.

Which means he would have been in post-war Germany for more than a year and a half before Bukowski jr. was born, which is interesting, since I always thought his stay in Germany after the war was brief. But he chose to stay and work for the army rather than return to America.

It's interesting to see those documents. Thanks, Bill...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back