Business cards, baseball cards, visiting cards, lamination, lamentation and more (1 Viewer)


Founding member
and Carol's business card is very cool. I might have to steal borrow that idea.
You should. We've been letterpressing those cereal box business cards for a long time and people always comment on them and remember them. A lot of people have started printing on the back of food boxes in the last few years so they aren't as unique as the used to be, but they still always get a reaction.


yeah, the company i work for employs an outside sales rep who stamps his info on the back of cereal boxes.
I'm not surprised that it's catching on. No one throws those cards away. Especially if they are letterpressed.
my first thought on the cards after "cool!" was "I wish baseball cards were one sided." that would be a perfect card for me to use.

What you can do is veneer a piece of paper or chipboard to the back of a baseball card. Then you would cut the card smaller so that it is business card sized. This will also hide the fact that it is made of two pieces of paper. You can use glue, but that will warp the paper. Use Xyron, which is available at any craft store (This is the staff that makes anything into a sticker. It is acid free.) Then letterpress print on the reverse and you have a business card on the back of a baseball card.

If you want to keep it the size of a baseball card, then you have to veneer the card and then carefully trim it to about the size of a baseball card, but SLIGHTLY smaller. This will also hide the veneering...

You can also buy "error" blank-back common baseball cards for a couple of cents apiece. At least you could years ago when I had to know about such things. All you need to find is some card nerd with a giant stack of them...


(Okay, a cursory Google search would seem to indicate that my suggestion is easier said than done. Carry on.)
You need something like this, a full set (or at least a full box), only backless.

I'm surprised those singles are that expensive, but I suppose you would only put the valuable ones up for auction. I know you can get them cheaper, eBay may not be the place though.
Is it a liquid? An adhesive strip?

Xyron is an adhesive that comes in a roll. You roll the paper out, press your item against it, remove it and you have a sticker. It is basically the same stuff that they sell in dots for the scrapbookers to adhere photos, but it comes in rolls up to 9" x 40'. It is a dry, cold press type of adhesive. It is archival safe and acid free.

mjp linked to it, but there is no need to use the machine. Just buy the refill kids and remove the adhesive roll and throw the rest of it out...
Their site doesn't really make it clear what any of this stuff does. Is it a liquid? An adhesive strip? I don't get it...
bill is pretty much a sales rep for xyron. he told me to use it, and here i am flouting his advice using crappy PVA, and all i've got are some slightly warped book boards to show for it.
The funny thing is that we have A.C. Moore craft stores here. The XYRON refills cost about $40 a roll (9" x 40' long). A.C. Moore allows you to go on their website and print a coupon for 40% off one item. Every time I need more Xyron, I print my coupon go there and get a roll for about half price. I have probably used over 50 rolls over the years. I am not a rep for their company, but I can say for sure that I am the single largest user of it in Delaware...


p.s. I also buy PVA glue in the gallon containers, so i use a shit ton of that stuff too...

p.p.s. Don't get me started on how many hundreds of full sheets of bookboard (30"x41") and how many yards of bookcloth I have bought.
I have a question for the [STRIKE]g[/STRIKE][STRIKE]eeks[/STRIKE] ummmm, printers/artists/etc. here. ;)

I'm looking for an appropriate glue. I want to glue brown paper bags to a piece of plywood, but I want to be able to paint on the paper bags afterward.

is there a glue I can use that will still render the bags paintable? or am I overthinking it and any glue will do if I let it dry?

and also, why is the sky blue?
There is a clear acrylic polymer that is made by Nova Color that dries clear that I use to stick paper onto canvas. The only thing is that it is a bit shiney when it dries. That's okay for me because I paint over it and don't let the shiny parts show through, or I just use it on the back side so that there is no shiny top side (if that makes sense).
There's also a product called Rollataq that's archival, repositionable (for a minute or so anyway) and easy to use. You just need to be careful to keep the roller clean or it will clog up.
Ah, they also make Speedcote, a similar system that puts a wax coat the back of typesetting and line art for pasteup. Used to use those in ye olde offset printing shops.
i've been using acrylic gesso to mount watercolor paper on masonite and it works great. use a sponge roller to get an even thin coat on the board, place the paper on top, pile books or anything flat and heavy on it. leave it overnight
and it should be good to go.

you can also prime the painting side of the paper with transparent gesso which
will keep it from rotting if you're using oil paint.
Some on Ebay, but not cheap!!

Well I wish I had some of those... I listed about 23 things on ebay a few weeks ago, one of them was a lot of approximately 1,500 baseball cards from 1987-1989. I listed the starting price at 1.00. They did not sell, so I changed the starting price to .01, they still didn't sell, so now I guess they're headed for the trash!

Users who are viewing this thread