Chance Press is publishing underground comix legend Kim Deitch (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
tumblr_mz0qapoB2b1rgkyhzo1_500.jpg

That's right, folks. We're doing a collection of uncollected stories, artwork, sketches and layouts by the legendary Kim Deitch. Don't know Deitch? You probably do if you've ever looked through any underground comix, since he was there with Crumb, Spain, Shelton and all the others in San Francisco revolutionizing the art form. Thing is, while most of those other guys have peaked (or, sadly, passed on), Deitch is putting out the best work of his career, book after book. It is an absolute dream project for me to get a crack at putting out an artist book with his art in it, and I'm pulling out all the stops. In fact, not twenty minutes ago, I pulled the trigger on a 17" wide Epson printer so that I can print his artwork full-size (17" x 22") and bind it in.

Yes, you heard that right - the deluxe edition of this book will be a monstrous 18" x 24". (We'll do a standard-sized trade edition as well.) Obviously we can't set pricing until the book is closer to done, but expect $500 for the deluxe and $60 for the trade.

Release will hopefully be in September 2014 to coincide with the SPX show in Maryland.

no, I think they got a kid with some sort of syndrome to do it, probably as a extra credit thing for school. maybe he'll get some extra pudding at lunch, provded he doesn't smear it on the table again and yell "you pooed!" over and over until the care givers wheel him to the quiet room and change his meds.

stop being so small minded, mjp.

So you're saying the video was narrated by a retard?!

You know you're not supposed to use that word anymore, don't you? What's wrong with you?

Then again, cold have been this guy:

swiss-cheese.jpg

Sounds like his work.

justine was next to me while i was recording the audio, and she was cracking up the whole time. i was trying as hard as i could not to laugh, and then i lost it right at the end (you can hear it if you wait until the last second or so). i hate kickstarter videos - so many of them are just people telling a webcam the same stuff you can read below. i almost didn't make one, but kickstarter REALLY encourages you to do it, so i put that one together in iMovie in around 20 minutes. i guess the movies make sense for design projects where you need to show your product and show what it does, but with an art book, you either like the art and want to support the book or you don't. i'm disappointed that the video lost us the support of fickle pickle mjp, though.

no, I think they got a kid with some sort of syndrome to do it, probably as a extra credit thing for school. maybe he'll get some extra pudding at lunch, provded he doesn't smear it on the table again and yell "you pooed!" over and over until the care givers wheel him to the quiet room and change his meds.

stop being so small minded, mjp.

excuse me, but that's MY voice in the video.

uh oh, this website that tracks kickstarter projects and predicts whether they'll be successful currently gives us a 7% chance of meeting our goal. i like those odds!

23% so far! we got $60 from the guys that used to sublet space in my office, since i backed their kickstarter (which eventually got $330,000). plus my boss and my coworker said they'd contribute, so we should get a little more from them. the key will be promoting it - i have an email out to some comics blogs, so hopefully we can get some press from them.

fantagraphics blogged about the project on their site and on all the social media sites, and we got around $400 in under an hour. that stupid prediction website has us at 24% probability of getting funded.

thank you so much, carol! yeah, my boss was the one to push us over the top, and your pledge came in 3 minutes later. we're shocked right now - neither of us thought that the project would get funded so quickly. and here's the funniest part - we needed the 2K to make the deluxe edition, and no one has bought one yet! so once this is over and we send out the rewards, we'll still have deluxes for sale, but we won't need to be freaking out about losing money on them. so happy right now.

Go CHANCE PRESS! Congrats. I'm hoping to scrape together a little something for the cause next paycheck!

well, i wake up this morning and find that we've surpassed $3000. crazy.

we just added another edition, priced between the trade and the deluxe at $150. i'm not sure what it will be, yet, but it will be hardcover and around the same format as the trade. i'm still waiting for someone to spring for a deluxe edition...

okay, looks like we've come in for a soft landing at $3850. with the most popular rewards sold out, we may pick up a few hundred bucks more over the next few weeks, but the massive growth seems to have subsided. what a ride - i can't believe we doubled where we were last night in a day, and that we basically made double our goal in just over 48 hours.

i'm going to have her doing a painting of a horse for the $500 version. with the inscription, "how many kim deitches can a man eat?"

The painting of the horse is good, but maybe a more appropriate inscription, like, "He couldn't have written HORSEMEAT if it wasn't for me!" It really shouldn't have anything to do with Kim Deitch, if we want to remain consistent here...

okay, there are but TWO copies of the trade edition left! these are part of the $135 reward tier, and they come with three limited edition prints. once these are gone, that's it for the trade edition - we don't plan to raise the edition size, despite the demand we've seen. so head over to the kickstarter page and pledge for one of them, or you'll have to wait to buy a copy off of abebooks for $2000 or something ridiculous.

That's crazy! A good crazy. $7000 is not unthinkable. A reach, maybe, but doable.

yep, someone came through with a $575 pledge last night to bump us over 6K, and we got a couple more today. I'm starting the home stretch publicity wave in a couple days with the goal of breaking 7K by the end.

oh, and i deleted the reward tier where we'd do a bookbinding tutorial for someone. it seemed like a good idea at the time, but i'm going to be too busy making books to manage it now!

wow, just a hair shy of $9000. i have to say, i'm plum shocked at the success of this. i thought we'd make our goal by selling the cheap prints and might get lucky to sell a handful of books. now, there are barely any books left to "release" once they're done - almost the entire edition is claimed. there is one trade edition, one medium fancy edition, and one deluxe edition left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back