Charles Bukowski by Barry Miles (1 Viewer)

HenryChinaski

Founding member
Okay guys, so I've been reading this book and it's pretty okay.

But, some question have come up that I must ask and see if there are any copies or known copies of certain stories and poems.

Miles says that Buk made several appearences in Matrix. One story is called:
"The Reason Behind Reason". Anyone read said story?

Supposedly, his first poetry ever in print was a poem called "Hello".
In the winter of 1946 Matrix contained a story called "Love, Love, Love",
a poem called "Voice In A New York Subway", and another called, "Object Lesson".

There's one other story called "Cacoethes Scribendi" in the fall-winter 1947 issue.

NOW, maybe I'm just overloaded with Bukowski material and have already heard of these but they all sound new to me. Maybe I'm out of the loop and everybody else already knows of them.

Maybe Abe can shed some light on these question with his photocopies or maybe there are other Bukowskian bookworms who know of them.

I'm very interested and NEED TO READ THIS MATERIAL.

Let me know.

EDIT: THE WEIRD THING IS, ALL OF THESE THINGS TAKE PLACE DURING THE TIME PERIOD WHEN HANK SAID HE QUIT WRITING, (RIGHT AFTER AFTERMATH WAS PRINTED)???????????? 10 year drunk?

Those early Matrix appearences are rare and mysterious indeed. We have had a few mentions before that might be good to look at again...

And, best of all, thanks to our friend cirerita we can even see a couple of them.

Hello

Love, Love, Love

Voice In A New York Subway

Miles says that Buk made several appearences in Matrix. One story is called:
"The Reason Behind Reason". Anyone read said story?

(From the Trivia thread)
Yup the character in the story "The reason behind reason" was called Chelaski!

you can find a part here:

https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?t=68

There's one other story called "Cacoethes Scribendi" in the fall-winter 1947 issue.

In the Unpublished and Uncollected board there's a Cacoethes Scribendi Thread

If I've missed any, try searching the forums for 'matrix'

I think to recall B submitted Cacoethes Scribiendi to Burnett in 1946 and it was, of course, rejected. In the rejection note -not sent to Bukowski, it's some sort of note where different editors wrote their impression before accepting/rejecting a story- one of the editors said something like: "This guy [Bukowski] is nuts. This story seems to be about Whit." Indeed, the story is about B. visiting an editor who tells him that he's no longer interested in co-editing a magazine with Bukowski. Martha Foley is mentioned by name, but that's about it.

In a hurry here and not following the above links, but I think I've read "Cacoethes Scribiendi." Now don't tell me it's lost and has never been read by anyone.

"His published poems, a fraction of the tens of thousands he scribbled through his squalid decades..."

Tens of thousands? I guess you don't really have to know anything to write New York Times reviews of biographies.

"Why bother to read the biographer’s endless prosaic variations on "He drowned himself in alcohol" when we have access to the master’s own testimony[?]"

At least he got that right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back