Chromecast (2 Viewers)

mjp

Founding member
I've been waiting for something like this. I didn't expect to get it for a mere $35, but I'm not complaining.

In case the dumb video below doesn't make clear, this little thingie plugs in to an HDMI port on your TV and you can stream from your Android tablet/phone/whatever to the TV.

[This video is unavailable.]

marquee-product.png

I like this technology and will get it if i ever get a new tv (my current one is a tube tv, probably from the 80s).

Beyond that, rant time! it's been a while since my last rant. i'm due, right? here I'll use a light gray font that will make my post easier to ignore:

most people use most technology wrong. just yesterday I tried using a spoon to take a shit and ... nevermind.

I can relate to PS on this, but I also agree with mjp on one level. it is a mistake to blame technology.

to me the problem is when people get into that mindset where they gotta get whatever is brand new. for example somebody with a tv that works, but doesn't have a little special port might go out and buy another tv just for the port just to be able to have more options of stuff to watch on tv. that kind of trendy consumerism is par-for-the-course american pathos (some other cultures have gotten into the act to, of course). my phone is 4 years old, camera 10 (samsung digimax 301), computer 8 (dell inspiron e1505) and frankly this makes me a better person - both in the sense that I am better than people who buy a new whatever whenever they come out, and better in the sense that i care about what i have more than i care about what people tell me i should replace it with.

my phone stopped taking pictures about two years ago, which was a bummer since I took a lot of pictures with it. but instead of getting a new phone, I adapted to the new limits of the phone I already had and bought a camera. i got the camera at a thrift store and then realized that it has no manual settings and no optical zoon (effectively no zoom at all). so i didn't use it and thought about ditching it for a better model but after a while i figured out how to get some decent shots with it and appreciate its qualities (one of which is its uniqueness, since everybody else's pictures are so shiny) and limitations.

of course this whole debate is complicated by the problem of ideology which is a term that is used in a lot of different ways. But one of the basic original uses is to describe the fact that people allow their orientations in life to be structured by their jobs and investments, and the jobs/investments of others. so somebody works for google or owns stock in google (or has a buddy who does) and next thing you know we're all being pressured to 'be a good friend' and google more. One of the great things about Bukowski - you never felt like he was selling anything other than himself. and even then he often managed to sneak some sincerity into the conversation.

bottom line? the economy is a piece of shit on wheels, historically steered by domineering and perverse oligarchs and the mass of people are ignorant and brainwashed pawns 8-))

now back to my meds, please excuse the interruption.

my phone is 4 years old, camera 10, computer 8 and frankly this makes me a better person [...] the mass of people are ignorant and brainwashed pawns
Everyone except you, right. You're enlightened because you don't make enough money to participate in consumerism. How convenient.

One of two things will eventually happen to you (because they eventually happen to everyone like you); you'll end up making more money and all of your charming, youthful "radicalism" will dissipate and be forgotten, or (more likely), you'll never make more money because you're too fucking crazy to even fake being normal, so you'll always have 20 or 30 year old everything, and you'll die thinking you were a better person because of it.

But really it's just a justification for failure. You'll die a delusional old kook who everyone avoids. Right now you're a delusional young kook who everyone avoids. So you can look forward to more of the same.

That's today's look into the crystal ball, brought to you by Google and Amazon.

You're welcome.

to me the problem is when people get into that mindset where they gotta get whatever is brand new. for example somebody with a tv that works, but doesn't have a little special port might go out and buy another tv just for the port just to be able to have more options of stuff to watch on tv. that kind of trendy consumerism is par-for-the-course american pathos...
Ah, yes...but folks like this are great for the garage sale market!

Hey, at least he figured out how to work the Enter key.

I got plenty of practice, with all those years of working your mom's Enter key.

Quel coincidence! When your mom looked into my crystal balls, that too was sponsored by Amazon and Google.

You're welcome.

Likewise.

Whatever your reasoning is for spinning your yarns of extravagant vitriol they definitely merit a "your mom" joke. Any leader worth a hair knows that the pm is the key to a smooth sailing ship.

Congratulations. That's about the seventh time you've posted a day (or hour) or two after sending me a message or an email saying that you were leaving or never posting again. Your consistency is commendable.

message, email, leaving this forum and still here?
Personally I don't need his narcissistic, idiotic posts.
They bother me and probably bother quite a few other members
and most of all, future fresh blood must think when they read his scribbles,
what the hell is going on on this forum?
Oh well, we survived our dear friend mullinax, although he was way too long
on this forum before he got kicked out.

Congratulations. That's about the seventh time you've posted a day (or hour) or two after sending me a message or an email saying that you were leaving or never posting again. Your consistency is commendable.

This message is a lie. First of all, I have never sent 7 messages saying that I was leaving or never posting again. I may have sent a message like that years ago, when i was much crazier even than I am now. But even then I received several private messages from forum vets apologizing for me being treated roughly, so I tried to stick around. Second of all, I did not send a message recently saying that I was not posting again. What I said was that I would steer clear of the conversations (because they trigger my rants, which noone appreciates), but that I would still post small things here and there - a song link, a pdf of something I dug up at the library, etc. I am making an exception in this thread, though, since it obviously concerns me and my reputation directly.

Did anyone read this post from mjp?

Everyone except you, right. You're enlightened because you don't make enough money to participate in consumerism. How convenient.

One of two things will eventually happen to you (because they eventually happen to everyone like you); you'll end up making more money and all of your charming, youthful "radicalism" will dissipate and be forgotten, or (more likely), you'll never make more money because you're too fucking crazy to even fake being normal, so you'll always have 20 or 30 year old everything, and you'll die thinking you were a better person because of it.

But really it's just a justification for failure. You'll die a delusional old kook who everyone avoids. Right now you're a delusional young kook who everyone avoids. So you can look forward to more of the same.

You're welcome.

This is a venomous personal attack. I got structural lung deficiency that has always prevented my body from oxygenating at more than about 70% of what the average person is working with and ear surgeries when i was little threw my balance off-kilter in a serious way that if i don't do an hour or two of taichi every day to open my chest up and refind my center i don't have the wherewithall to get out of bed. So, like he says, maybe i will die young of frustration or never publish a culture-shifting book of essay and prose. Don't go sending me get-well cards, i don't care for pity. But I do know from experience that compassion and understanding go hand-in-hand.

That said, regardless of my personal future horizons, if he or anybody else has or had a problem with the style of my or anybody else's posts, a private message is a simple way to address it. Public slander of forum members is only going to foment negativity - and might explain where there are so few long-time posters still active in the forum.

As for Ponder's claim that my posts are narcissistic, the opposite is true. If anything, they are overly altruistic and compassionate. I feel for people and their struggles. The oppression and pollution and habitat destruction are maddening! Expressing that frustration and trying to understand and demystify those struggles is part of my process. Behind every critical utterance is a fundamental intention to somehow improve the situation.

But I realized that I had entered into an addictive mode of participation in the forum and needed to impose some distance on myself. Hence my emailing mjp to apologize for being at times too wild, and to communicate my intention to alter my behavior pattern. Any kind of acknowledgement of that message on his part (even something as simple as 'whatever dude') would have spared him from having to hear a 'your mom' joke.

I've looked at old forum posts and I know that people posting in full sentences and even an occasional paragraph is not unheard of around here - in fact it used to be commonplace. Taking the time to try to clear up a misunderstanding or express a complete consideration is important every now and again. I'm as into bukowski (and current literary subculture) as anybody else around here so being in the forum makes sense to me. Plus I've had good correspondance with a few forum members and I've just gotten some milestone award for going over 50 likes, in spite of mjp campaigning against me - obviously not everything i do is loathesome to everybody.

i remember when a couple people made sincere posts about their situation in real life in the last month or so and at first i was put-off by it, but then upon reflection i found that hearing that backstory gives the forum a little more heart. here's to that. and as always, any moderator can delete my post if it's unseemly. a few short mundane ones have been deleted in the past, but then the ones that make people mad get left up there and lambasted. not sure how it all works ... obviously.

By the way, I got the Chromecast yesterday and much to my dismay there's no Chromecast option in the mobile Chrome browser, so I can't do what I bought the Chromecast to do (view web on TV from the Nexus 7). Have to wait and see if they add the ability. Until then, poor little Chromecast goes back into the box.

i broke my chromecast and adapated to its limitations, rather than just buying another chromecast like the rest of you sheeple.

That's interesting, because I already broke the thing that's going to eventually replace Chromecast, and I use the parts of it that still work to resequence chimpanzee DNA, which I then use in my art. I feel like we probably have a lot in common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back