classical buk - what are you listening to now? (1 Viewer)

Thank you PONDER. I am putting on an Mp3 of Mozart piano sonatas. The dogs enjoy this while they take their mid morning nap.
We have some Bach as well. It is good to listen to classical music.

i'm not familiar with brahms' first symphony, but i do love the second and third, which i have, performed by the berlin philharmonic. i've fallen out of consciousness listening to those a few times, i can tell you.

Not that I know of.

Listening to Fauré on this grey afternoon.
Piano quintet nr. 1 in d. Op. 89 at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I was listening to Brahms in Philadelphia, in 1942. I had a small record player. it was Brahms 2nd movement..." ("Doing Time" in Erections, p. 248)
Buk doesn't say if this is Brahms second movement of what symphony....
I believe there is a passage in another story/poem where Buk comments on the similarity of the theme of Brahms' First Symphony, last movement and the "Ode to Joy" theme in Beethoven's Ninth.
[TIME LAPSE].....
OK, I just looked up Robert Sandarg's "The Classical Buk" and he solves the problem: "In 'Doing Time with Public Enemy no. 1" Buk enigmatically writes of listening to 'Brahms' second movement' when arrested by FBI agents in Philadelphia. The second movement of which work?! This question is resolved in [the poem] 'ww 2': ''i am listening to the 2nd movement of brahms' 2nd symphony when there is a knock on the door.'"

What am I listening to? Well, Brahms 3d symphony was one of the first classical records I got when I was 15 years old and the first movement still knocks my socks off.
Now I am listening to Haydn symphonies, Thelonius Monk, and trying to play on the piano Beethoven Piano Sonata in E-flat major, Opus 27, no. 1. I ADORE THE LAST MOVEMENT OF THIS PIECE!!!!

Life got better when I discovered how easy it was to run the Mp3 player through the Bose clock radio. Now I will put on an assortment of Bach and maybe all 9 Beethoven symphonies.

I don't have much symphonic music in my personal collection, but I listen to our local fine arts radio station. Evenings, while reading or writing. Usually left on as I fall asleep. As I awoke today, Handel's was playing.

Beethoven, all 9 symphonies on one Mp3 that alone has to make his soul smile. It goes through my whole little unemployed household like incense.

Reading some Living on Luck.

The Russian composer's full name is Reinhold Moritzovich
Gliére.

[To Roth Wilkofsky]
September 4, 1975

[***] 3:30 p.m. on my 2nd beer. rolling Prince Albert. something on the radio.
what is it? I've heard it, yes. many times. can't spell it. Illeia Morovitz by Gliere?
long strains and strands.
have in mind to shape up a few of the ten or 12 poems I wrote last night.
when drinking one tends to use too many lines but a certain gamble comes
about and you use some lines you'd probably never use when you're sober.
mostly I hack out the flowers and leave in the brambles.
Bruckner and Mahler, yes. I could never quite get it on with the Bee. Don't
know why. Bach was easy because he didn't have to carry around a lot of excess
crap. anyhow, classical music and booze"”taken together"”have carried me
through many a night when it seemed as if there were nothing else around.
and maybe there wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back