Did anyone else here get a second chance offer for this book. There are a few reasons that this scares the shit out of me.
1) I bid $400 for the book. The final price was $1500. Why would they contact me and not the next highest bidder?
2) The buyer is someone with perfect FB and has bought from me before, although I don't remember what.
3) The book is far too rare for them to have multiple copies.
4) The seller is outside of the US, where Paypal has little or no protection for purchases.
5) When you do a second chance offer from ebay, it is treated like a one person-private auction. This was sent from [email protected]
, hiding his name as "ebay". I assume that the scam is that we strike a deal and I pay him directly, even though he was not the seller.
There are probably more reasons why this gives me a sick feeling, but if they contacted others on this list that threw up a small bid then there may be something truly scarry in this scenario....
"They say that the buyer did not come through (but they left no bad feedback), they tell you that they need the money and you settle on a price that is lower than the reserve. You feel safe paying them with paypal. You pay them and NEVER see a book or anything. When you dispute it with Paypal, you find out that they will not guarantee purchases made outside the country unless the seller follows a very specific set of qualifications. Additioanlly, PAypal will NEVER guarantee any purchase where you do not complete the sale THROUGH ebay. Sales outside of ebay are 100% exempt. They will TRY to collect, but if the person cleaned out their Paypal account, that amounts to ebay asking them nicely for the money back. You are fucked out of your money and your book."
Of course, this may be on the up-and-up, but it SEEMS odd. I'm 99.9% sure that this is a run-of-the mill fraud and hope that if it is, that none opf my freinds on this forum are taken in by it. Thoughts for any of these learned forum members?