Did Bukowski speak German? (1 Viewer)

Since he was born and lived in Germany until he was 3 years old, it's strange that he never mentioned (at least I never found any source about it) about his period living there.

His parents probably spoke German in front of him, since they lived there.

Anyone know about this?

In the book Women, Buk is mentioning the visit of two girls from Germany, wanting to meet him.

It goes like this:

One looked to be about 19, the other maybe 22. I had two or three books out in Germany in limited editions. I had been born in Germany in 1920, in Andernach. The house I had lived in during my childhood was now a brothel. I couldn't speak German. But they spoke English.

He did not speak German. He was less than three years old when they came to America, so he didn't really have any foundation in the language. And his father was American, so German wasn't spoken - at least conversationally - in the house. I'm sure his mother taught him words here and there, but he said himself he didn't know the language (as Black Swan just trumped me in pointing out).

The opening of Ham on Rye where Buk is under the dinner table and wondering what is being said goes on to state:

"I was 'Henry Jr.' These people spoke German most of the time and in the beginning I did too."

Take that with a grain of salt. I doubt he actually spoke much, if any, German. Recounting 3-5 years of age, it may have been literary license, IMO. But, possibly...

He was less than three years old when they came to America, so he didn't really have any foundation in the language.

Right! And he would'nt remember anything from those first 2-3 years either. People usually don't remember anything from that early on in their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he hadn't been able he would't have had German accent that was an issue for compaining.Owing to the last mentioned he had "problems" at school and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back