Does any one have a photocopy/transcript of J.W Corringtons essay on Bukowski from The Outsider #3?

Discussion in 'Books, magazines, publications' started by madmancrayon, Mar 2, 2017.

1. I'm writing my senior year dissertation on Bukowski's connection with the French Existentialist's (mainly Camus and Sartre) and have seen this essay referenced many times, but unfortunately can't afford to $200 eBay asking price. Also, if you have any suggestions on what else might be usefull on this subject any info would be greatly appreciated. Happy to share the research I've gained so far if interested.

p.s I'm new here, sorry if I've posted in the wrong place

Much love

2. mjp

mjp President First 9 Reaper Crew Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Corrington has an analysis of 3 poems in that issue, I wouldn't call it an essay, but others may have. There is an essay in that issue, but it's by R.R. Cuscaden. The Outsider is a very fragile publication, so you don't see many copies or scans made from it.

Corrington does have an essay in Bukowski's first LouJon book (which was published after Outsider 3)...

roni likes this.
  3. Thank you so much mjp, I've been searching for that one too.
    I was getting my references from 'Art, Survival and So Forth' By Jules Smith in which she writes:
    'J.W Corrington's essay examined 'The Tragedy of The Leaves', The Priest and the matador' and 'Old Mans, dead in a room,' linking the poems with the Existentialism of Sartre and Camus, and with T.S Eliots's alienated characters.' and its cited as being from The Outsider #3. Any idea what she's talking about?

I know it's a big ask, so either way thanks so much you fucking hero

[edit] Just re-read your comment, I guess that's the Analysis you're referring too, damn. So, it doesn't exist digitally anywhere as far as you know?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  4. mjp

mjp President First 9 Reaper Crew Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

I've never seen scans of it, but someone may have transcribed it somewhere. You've been looking though, and if you can't find it, maybe it's not out there.

I'll take a look at my copy of #3 later today and see if a scan is possible.

5. Ah, you are a king amongst men!
    By the way if you have any thoughts or ideas of resources for a study of Bukowski as an Existentialist, I'm all ears. (Just asking because, looking at your history, you seem to really know your shit on Buk)

Much love

6. Digney in Burnaby

Digney in Burnaby donkeys live a long time Redwood Original Unholy Ones

I thought I'd done this already but I often think I've done things when I haven't. From The Outsider of the Year issue (3?):

outsider 1962.10.JPG outsider 1962.11.JPG outsider 1962.12.JPG outsider 1962.13.JPG outsider 1962.14.JPG outsider 1962.15.JPG

Petey, roni, Johannes and 5 others like this.
  7. Ahh man, you guys are angels. Only just signed up to this forum today. I think I've found my people.

8. Purple Stickpin

Purple Stickpin Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Digney in Burnaby: How did you get scans of those? I took my copy out and thought about it, but even though it's in somewhat rough shape, there's no way that I could scan those pages without creating a dumpster fire.

9. Digney in Burnaby

Digney in Burnaby donkeys live a long time Redwood Original Unholy Ones

I photocopied the copy from the UBC library four decades ago. So the scans are of photocopies. I don't remember destroying the book in the process.

Purple Stickpin likes this.
  10. zobraks

zobraks SAMCRO Unholy Ones

Yes you had, I've downloaded those scans years ago and they're still somewhere around here.

Edit: here they are.

Guess what, the scans of Cuscaden's essay are also there.
    Thanks to Digney The Great, once again.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    roni, Digney in Burnaby and Johannes like this.
  11. roni

roni Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

just on a sidenote to help you referencing the author in your dissertation correctly:
    Jules Smith actually is a man.

12. zobraks

zobraks SAMCRO Unholy Ones

Next thing we know you'll tell that Francis Bacon is/was a man too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  13. roni

roni Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

oh, in these modern transgender times you never know....

14. good catch, thanks man - or woman...