favorite beer/favorite mixed drink (1 Viewer)

Hey cheap gin

cheap gin

Being that you are a thinker and a drinker (partial to gin) I was wondering if you could write some about a gin drunk.

I've surely drunk gin in the past, and do remember thinking well (as well as I could), at least compared to other drunks.

Now that I think of it, maybe this would be a good thread: not just descriptions of gin drunks, but wine, whiskey, beer, champagne, etc. as well.

Although I've had my share of alcohol in the past, I'm neither a great drinker or stand in judgement of those who do, but could one make a statment like "gin is the "philosopher's" drink", or should we just leave it as - "one drinks what one drinks"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Frangelico on ice with fresh lime... mmmm
tastes like a Ferrer Rocher in a glass!
but generally if i'm drinking at home i stick to cheap sauvignon blanc or vodka with oj and pineapple.

Muscatel is a sweet syrupy wine i think...

what's the definition of an "alcoholic"? if i know then i can tell if i am or not..

new castle brown ale, when I can get it. they don't sell it around here.

right now I've been drinking the hell out of Hurricane and Steele Reserve, because they're both cheap.

Also, I drink the rot-gut Beast Ice.

us poor folks bargain shop.

Where the hell do you live that you can't get Newcastle? I tried it recently for the first time and it's okay. I think I'm really going to like dark beers (I tried Guiness and 8 Ball recently and I thought they were both great).

cheap gin

Being that you are a thinker and a drinker (partial to gin) I was wondering if you could write some about a gin drunk.

I've surely drunk gin in the past, and do remember thinking well (as well as I could), at least compared to other drunks.

I've been thinking about your post for a while, now, and am still unsure how to answer.

To be truthful, I am internally comfortable with my drinking; it is what I choose to do, and, as Steinbeck wrote, it has its consequences, not punishments, that I am willing to accept. But unlike Bukowski, I am not totally comfortable presenting my drinking to the world. It is my private demon, one that I am intimate with, yet, it is still private.

I just feel to answer your question about my private thoughts regarding a gin drunk would be presenting my private demon to the world. That somehow lessens the intimacy, and I rather enjoy that intimacy.

Maybe I feel this way do to my current sobriety, I don't know. Perhaps the next time I peruse these boards during a drunken writing binge I will be more open. Maybe that's part of the gin effect afterall, openness.

I'll just quote you back: "one drinks what one wants." Good luck with that, in whatever you chose.

To quote Bukowski :"fools create their own paradise."

I just feel to answer your question about my private thoughts regarding a gin drunk would be presenting my private demon to the world. That somehow lessens the intimacy, and I rather enjoy that intimacy.

Okay. That's cool.

Just to be clear, I wasn't really fishing for any personal information. It doesn't really concern me if you get juiced up and trash your house, go to the chinese massage parlour for happy ending, or calmy sit back and read Marcus Aurlieus.

Mostly I asked not necessarily because I think you are the numero uno expert on getting soused, but because I think you write well. If your forum handle was "cheap plumber" I'd probably ask you to write something about monkey wrenches.

With that said, I suppose it is of personal interest for me to know something about how we think when we are outside ourselves (or inside, same difference). I've got one eye open for a "champagne drunk" (never met one). I'd like to know how that buzz goes, and the hangover to boot.

I try not to be too idealistic about these things though. For example, I read a book about absinthe some years ago. In it was a sort of drinking biography of some of the greats: Baudelaire, Rimbaud, St. Van Gogh, even Saintlier Artaud. To know that they all had a similar experience in which at a certain point the beauty that the absinthe covered them with transformed into simultaneous images and feelings of ugliness and evil was simply interesting for me. BUT, the reality: absinthe was a cheap, hardcore drunk for many a poor person which had nothing to do whatsoever with sublimity or art.

I not only respect not wanting to expose your "personal demons" but think much the same way. Much too special a thing for a computer forum.

As for Marcus Aurlieus, I hope that example wasn't lost on you. Thinks clearly and objectively never relinquishing his dark side.

Stout? I love english stouts! Nice sweet taste, almost like candy. So far I've only tasted Mackesons and Velvet stout...yummy, yummy...:p

For me it feels like i'm drinking chocolate, coffee, and alcohol all at the same time and it's a great effect

sparks oh how i love that magical stuff in a can, straight rum, vodka chase it down with cranberry juice, and guiness, anyone fond of the 40oz ?

I like Myer's straight, guiness of course, but we can't buy 40oz in Florida. I don't really understand why banning 40oz is supposed to help anyone's drinking problem. We have 32s, though.

EDIT: Just noticed you're in FL, too. You go to GA or AL to get 40s?

The rumor/legend I've heard is that it's supposed to curb drunkeness or something of the sort (drunk driving, underage drinking, etc.).

The rumor/legend I've heard is that it's supposed to curb drunkeness or something of the sort (drunk driving, underage drinking, etc.).

We've got similar shit here in my town...they ban alcohol sales after 9pm by every place except bars...suppossed to curb drinking somehow...instead of one guy running out to the gas station to get a case of beer for the group, all 15 jump into cars, drive drunkenly to the bar, drink until they can't stand, then play Russian Roulette with traffic on the way home at 2am. Good thinking there.

Oh, and tonight just takes the cake...snow storm from Hell (somewhere around the 9th level or so), I run out of beer, it's about midnight, so I walk through a couple of feet of snow, a mile or so (I have a gas station on the corner, but they can't sell at this time), get to the bar, and they're damn closed!!!! Bartender told me just last week, "Even if two feet of snow and no customers we stay open to 2."

Anyway, I end up at home drinking the cheap gin and surfing the net...how does this help curtail drinking?

They stop selling at 2am here. I've heard of girls being able to get it later by flashing the clerk, but that's one story from one girl. I fucking hate 2am.

You can judge the quality of a county/culture on how accessible alki-hole is ;) . In Japan they sell beer at the supermarket, at the local convenience store and out of vending machines all over the place - 24/7.

What a clever people!

With that said, I suppose it is of personal interest for me to know something about how we think when we are outside ourselves (or inside, same difference). I've got one eye open for a "champagne drunk" (never met one). I'd like to know how that buzz goes, and the hangover to boot.

why not try it for yourself? there's nothing like personal experience.

I'll drink anything, anytime; except maybe the water that done run off Luther's boot....:) I'm a mere nitwit with too many russian novels under my belt thinking that these champagn-aholics not only exist but would sit down for an interview... How bout those 4th dimensional whores that Master Dostoyevsky could create with such seeming ease? Do they exist? Alas, my whoring and searching days are over...my catalan girlfriend would have a go at my pecker with a meat cleaver and Laaaawd knows I ain't got much to spare...

You can judge the quality of a county/culture on how accessible alki-hole is ;) . In Japan they sell beer at the supermarket, at the local convenience store and out of vending machines all over the place - 24/7.

What a clever people!

I've been in Las Vegas for a couple of weeks now
And these have to be some of the most liberal liquor laws in the country.
There are no closing hours or days for liquor sales anywhere
And most bars are open 24 hours.
Just about every corner you turn,
There's a drink to be had, an ashtray and a slot machine.
This place is wonderfully whacked
(Tho I haven't come across any drive-thru Margarita shacks yet).

I've been in Las Vegas for a couple of weeks now
And these have to be some of the most liberal liquor laws in the country.

And oddly enough,
It's the wedding capital of the world too....
Go figure ;)

(and yes, I just quoted myself...).

Self-____ rather than sayin 'I do' ha ha ha
But really, does 'Las Vegas' in spanish mean
"The Meadows"?,
Abundant in water and wild vegetation?!

No sight of H2O or greenery right now,
I'm drowning in _____
Bless Mr Antonio Armijo and his founding of this iconically american-facade valley oasis.

For me, it's usually beer. Beck's or Harp are my usual selections, but I will always go for a pint of Guiness when the barkeep can do the shamrock-in-the-foam thing. (By the way, should any of you Guiness lovers travel to Chicago, I know of a watering hole on the North side where pints are just two-dollars everyday. Contact me).

When doing shots, I try to stick to the "harmless" stuff like Jagermeister, or a kamikaze, maybe. When celebrating a special occasion, it's gotta be whiskey - preferably Irish.

If I am drinking a mixed drink, I usually go with vodka and 7-Up/cranberry juice/orange juice. Wines ? Gimme red over white anyday. I'm not picky. Just pour it in a clean glass and don't try to impress me with details about the vintage/varietals, etc... And pass the cheese and cold cuts !

My current dilemma : Tonight I began with 5 bottles of Beck's in my refrigerator. I am currently on number 3 and beginning to feel good. I think I may want to continue this because I am off work tomorrow and have nothing more urgent on my agenda than laundry. However, I am too broke to purchase anymore beer tonight and it would be too dangerous to go to an ATM machine at this hour to get the needed cash, anyway. HOWEVER - there IS an un-opened bottle of Bulgarian brandy in the kitchen cupboard. I don't know how it is spelled but it is pronounced "rah-KEE-yah". Hmmm....I think I may need some cutural enlightenment of the Bulgarian variety. Yes, indeed.

No6horse.
I don't know you from a pinch of poo, but if I were there right now - feeling the way I'm feeling - it would be the 2 of us off to the ATM - 50 bucks worth of beer and the brandy as a night cap.
No, I'm not coming on to you, but I don't have work tomorrow either, think chicago is beautiful and feel like drinking all night.
If only it wasn't a 24 hour flight.

LOL - I hear ya ROC. Chicago would have no chance against you and me and 50 bucks worth of beer on a Platinum Visa Card.

And actually I never opened that brandy until tonight.
Crazy strong Bulgarian brandy - woo-hoo Glad not to drive

Cheers/slainte/etc...

Scrumpy Jack and any strong German or Czech lager.............but who can solve the mystery as to why our American cousins across the pond do most things right except brew beer!.........bud,coors,miller.Sorry,i'll have to pass on those...........would 10 cans of bud get you rockin'?Me thinks not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back