German Lui magazine story / article? (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
Here's something I found in a 1979 German Lui issue. I can see it's a piece by our dear friend Fauser, but I just don't know whether it's a story translated by Fauser or an article (interview?) by him.

Attachments

• Lui 1.pdf
    520.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Lui 2.pdf
    699.3 KB · Views: 224
Well another german treasure i had never seen before - thank's for posting it!
It's not an interview from Järg Fauser but a translated short story from Bukowski i never
read before in german language dated from 1979.
The plot is about his meeting with a publisher called " Martin Johnson " who wants to start a publishing house with the name Red Vulture Press . Sound`s very familar.
After he found hundreds of poems in his cupboard he also required for some paintings and
Bukowski did nothing for days as to paint as a maniac and to put it all in the garbage can on the end.
An interesting part is that he mentioned the ominous " Kid Red " aka " Red Hand " in this story and admited that a few stories were influenced by his character.

http://www.anti-heroart.com/bukhaters.html

Any ideas for the original title of the story published in the US ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Petey,

could you translate the German title and first line into English? That would help me to track down the English story.

Would you translate the first line as: "East Hollywood sits in the smog in front of the purple mountains..."??? If so, then the English title of the story is: East Hollywood: The new Paris, which remains uncollected.

Buk is writing about 1970, same kinda atmosphere as the first pages of Women but more details and unkown annecdotes to me. Who is the German guy, Rolf?

Very interesting story.
Last lines: What the hell is wrong with you? And I responded: I don't know.

I didn't read your post....Will take a look.

Yes. Those are the first lines.

Do you have the story in English, cirerita?

cirerita said:
Would you translate the first line as: "East Hollywood sits in the smog in front of the purple mountains..."??? If so, then the English title of the story is: East Hollywood: The new Paris, which remains uncollected.

Järg Fauser is dead and Carl Weissner as always to busy so i will give it a try:
The title is:
" East Hollywood,
holy shit, that was a crazy life "
a few scenes from my best times by Charles Bukowski

and YES the first line is about the fucking purple mountains -Bingo amigo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back