Good Documentaries (3 Viewers)

Hi everyone, I was thinking about writing a brief post for New Blood, but I don't have much to say...well, only this: I enjoy reading this forum from time to time but I won't participate much, my english has always been very half-assed; I'm from Spain and I didn't know until I watched the doc Born Into This that Bukowski was made for me; making my way through his work right now.

So this is why I was posting here: I'm a film buff and following reports from Sundance 2020 I spotted a title that I thought would be interesting to mention here. It's a documentary called Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets, about a dive bar in Las Vegas known as Roaring 20s. Too soon to know if it's really good, but I read some glowing reviews and automatically put this one in my watchlist.

https://www.sundance.org/projects/bloody-nose-empty-pockets

cbAbGMMDTuowCyQKSRXqvPpHyM0.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished watching « The trials of Gabriel Fernandez » on Netflix.
A look at how the system fails to protect the children in cases of child abuse, resulting in death in many cases. It shows how the system works mainly at protecting itself and the different agencies involved .
Terribly hard to watch.
At the same time, it opens your eyes very wide on a ? reality.

Hi there, I hope everyone is doing fine. Docs for free: some new findings. A bit of everything :

1586261334258.png

Hands on a Hardbody: The Documentary (1997)
Hands on a Hardbody: The Documentary is a 1997 film documenting an endurance competition that took place in Longview, Texas. The yearly competition pits twenty-four contestants against each other to see who can keep their hand on a pickup truck for the longest amount of time. Whoever endures the longest without leaning on the truck or squatting wins the truck.

1586261666469.png

45365 (2009) Directed by Bill Ross IV, Turner Ross (their first film)
45365 explores the congruities of daily life in an American town. From the patrol car to the courtroom, the playground to the nursing home, the parade to the prayer service, it explores relationships and interactions - with people and their environment. The stories of a father and son, a young relationship, cops and criminals, officials and their electorate coalesce into a mosaic of faces, places, and events. 45365 is a portrait of a city and its people.

1586262487571.png

The Man Who Drew Bug-Eyed Monsters (1994) Directed by Mel Bucklin ; Narrated by Eli Wallach.
"This documentary celebrates the work of illustrator Reynold Brown, whose colorful and compelling art graced over 300 movie posters during the 1950s and '60s, ranging from star-studded westerns and studio epics to sensational creature features and low-budget B-movies. Art historians, writers, and movie producers discuss Brown's art within the context of the post-war social climate and an ever-changing movie industry. "

Watched a Sonny Liston doc this morning. I knew the story already having read the Nick Tosches book. Still tho Pariah- The Lives & Deaths of Sonny Liston was a compelling & sad & well done doc. The reenactments were sort of subtle and not at all corny.

Another free doc on vimeo for limited time (btw 45365 has already been locked, no longer available). I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if it's watchable or not, but the plotline is amusing...

1586701323423.png

(link:) Nuts! is a 2016 partly-animated documentary film billed as "mostly true story" (...), documents the life and career of John R. Brinkley (1885-1942), a Milford, Kansas druggist-turned physician who purportedly discovered a cure for male impotence by implanting goat testicles into the scrotums of his human patients. Largely through the testimonials of his "satisfied" customers, Brinkley enjoyed a period of fame and fortune before drawing the attention of Morris Fishbein, editor of the Journal of American Medicine, and the American Medical Association, which revoked his license.

1586702497789.png

And I saw this yesterday...for those like me who know next to nothing about brazilian politics and why Bolsonaro is now president, this is a good précis and entry point...

Saw CREEM: America's Only Rock 'n' Roll Magazine today, and I had expectations because I loved CREEM and because the film's been in production for four years. So I try not to have expectations, but I did. And they were exceeded. It was really well done and they covered all the bases.

It's not available yet, but when they release it, check it out. Essential rock and roll history.

https://www.creemmag.com/pages/documentary

Last edited:

Maybe it's because I dress mannequins for a living, but I really enjoyed this one.

A working class kid with a DIY ethic wrapped in melancholy. What's not to like?

Last edited:
A standard rise and fall and rise music documentary, but they were groundbreaking and it's worth a watch just for the "Clown Family" Polaroids.

I was going to mention the Go-Gos doc but I'm at work and ran out of time.

I really liked it.

Saw CREEM: America's Only Rock 'n' Roll Magazine today, and I had expectations because I loved CREEM and because the film's been in production for four years. So I try not to have expectations, but I did. And they were exceeded. It was really well done and they covered all the bases.

https://www.creemmag.com/pages/documentary
It's available to rent off a Canadian cable network (Shaw). I wish it was longer (because I was going "but what about -- insert various writers' names -- but, you're right, it covered all the bases. (Below: the first one I bought. Still have it, and a few others.)
creem december 1973.jpg

I think the first one I have is from 1973 too. I used to have a two-foot-high stack of them, but I think I only kept a few. I'll have to dig them out from wherever they are...

this is short and sweet -

started this last night - so far so great. everything that horrible "Echo" doc wasn't

Users who are viewing this thread

Back