Guggenheim application (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
Guggengheim application

gugg1.jpg

This is the text Bukowski submitted for the G application in 1973 (he had applied for it in the 60's, too).

Wanted to read his application

I wanted to read Bukowski's Guggenheim application and get a sense for the narrative part. I loved his directness--this is me, this is real. I also loved reading Malone's "He has an audience that ranges from academicians to collectors to brick layers."

Maybe he really got the Guggenheim, but they sent the check to Bukoski, Henry Charles (as it's spelled in the request to Malone), rather than Bukowski. ;)

Interesting that he pegs his association with Matrix as "desultory" and starting around 1948, a couple of years after it really started. I guess it's like padding job dates on a resume. The real interesting question is whether he only submitted to Matrix during those years, or he submitted elsewhere but Matrix were the only ones to publish him.

Besides Write, of course. ;)

The Guggenheim is very difficult to get, yet you see some of the people they support and have to wonder "what the fuck?"

Malone must have worked a long time on that recommendation. It's great. You know, except toward the end there where he more or less says Bukowski's prose is shit, but they should give him a grant to write some poems, because he's really good at that.

The real interesting question is whether he only submitted to Matrix during those years, or he submitted elsewhere but Matrix were the only ones to publish him.

Besides Write, of course. ;)

The did submit to a few other mags... besides Write, that is.

What do you make of the attached file? It's an excerpt from a 1990 interview with Kevin Ring (Beat Scene, UK) Either B's memory is failing or he was published in other periodicals before Story came out. He did submit -or so he said- to The Atlantic Monthly, Harper's, The New Yorker, etc., but those stories were not published.

00453.jpg

Thanks for the application stuff. All these little bits add up to an interesting story. Well, part of an interesting story anyhow...

What do you make of the attached file? It's an excerpt from a 1990 interview with Kevin Ring (Beat Scene, UK) Either B's memory is failing or he was published in other periodicals before Story came out.
That definitely makes it sound like there were publications before Story, doesn't it? Since he refers to Story as his first "major" publication...

we still know about this letter in a university-paper (or whatever), do we? about the public transport system, as far as I remember.

Roni,

That was The Collegian, but I gather from that interview that he published poetry/stories in other periodicals before he was in Story, which is quite unusual because I don't recall having read that anywhere else.

hi, brothers... i've read the text and i have a little doubth
bukowski said:
Lucille Medwick award...
from the new york quarterly...

with wich poem he got this award?

thanks..
H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back