Guitars, basses and other noisemakers

A few notes on the Fender viddy for those who might be wondering:

0:51: this looks to be the initial body formation of what might have ended up as a slab Precision bass. These were originally made for the UK market in the '50s, but I don't know if they were still in production in '59. In about '66 they made another run for the US market. They lack the body contours that you can see being added from 2:33-2:41. I suppose that made the bodies of higher mass, which might have added some thump to the low end, but those beasts can be very heavy.

5:10: this Stratocaster body is lovely. I've nothing to add to that.

5:33-6:00: the women appear to be doing pickup winding and other electronics-related prep, but I can't be sure.

6:23: What appears to be a tobacco sunburst Strat being held by the shirtless man would likely fetch $50,000 or more in that condition today.

6:36-6:42: Installing strap buttons (sure looks that way to me). What's odd is that, in this era, Fender had the "upper" strap button on the back of the headstock, but may also have offered the upper bout of the body option, which is what looks to be going on here.

6:44-7:10: final touches to that tobacco sunburst Strat. Shirtless dude is a jazz guy based on his voicings.

Otto jr

Over 100 posts
Some of those guitars are not considered vintage either way. Old does not equal vintage. A 1973
Strat is old but should not be considered vintage. To me vintage is 1964 and earlier. After the Beatles appearance on Sullivan every kid suddenly wanted to be a guitar player and all the mass production began. The Guitars made before this event are the vintage guitars.

mjp

The stone that the builder refused
Founding member
Over 5000 posts
I know the Les Paul Special that I have now - with the very thin, not-grain-filled, flat modern finish - sounds great though.
I restrung the Special yesterday (no more tailpiece overwrap), and I was playing it and playing it and thinking, damn, you know, this cheap ($499 - clearance sale, baby!) 2012 guitar feels better and plays better than any guitar I've ever picked up, including the vintage Juniors, Strats, Les Pauls, Telecasters, Steinberger, and various and sundry other axes that have passed through my clumsy fingers.

Just wanted to say that. For the permanent record.

2012 weren't exactly halcyon days for Gibson, so I'm sure there are plenty of not-so-great 2012 Gibsons out there. But this one has that certain indefinable yes-ness that you either feel or you don't when you pick up an instrument.

I know the feeling. After all these years, my favorite bass is the one I got used for $180 back in the late '90s. It's a fretless Crafted in Japan Fender Jazz and it just feels like a custom-tailored suit. Unfortunately, my favorite strings for it have been discontinued: Fender Nylon Filament (7120s). I've got a set on there and two NOS sets in the string drawer, but those will have to last me.