Guitars, basses and other noisemakers

mjp

Your Host
Founding member
Over 5000 posts
It's funny how a logo can put you off something. I could never get behind anything Peavy because of that logo. And when I was a kid those were mainly used by country music players.

But logos, yeah, Joe Strummer used Music Man amps, but he said that he didn't like "the picture of the guys wearing flares" on the front.

Untitled-1.jpg

It's really more of a wide-legged trouser or Palazzo pant, but I get his point.

I totally get the label thing. I hate to admit it, but in my younger days, and up til recently, I was a label snob. If it wasn't Fender, Gibson, Martin, I was not interested.

But now, older and wiser, I know I've missed a lot of non-big name cool/quality gear.

Re Peavey amp:
Back in the day, the fact that it was solid state would have trumped its name. TUBE ONLY was my mantra. Again, now older and wiser, I realize it's all in the fingers (mostly). When I debuted the amp at a jam, everyone was impressed by the little amp's tone, and how my fingers coaxed it out.... that is, I sounded the same as I do on my tube amps (maybe a touch less dynamics due to no tube sag.)

Its look: I personally like the amp's look. I suppose because it reminds me of my youth, where these things were everywhere. Would I have bought one new? No way, baby, it was Fender tube all the way.

The thing is built like a tank, and its Made in USA. These things are sleepers, as other gear forums agree. They're so cheap. I don't need more amps, but now I want to collect them...and trade'em with my friends.

Side note: I had a 70s Music Man HD130. A beastly, bulging amp. (2) 12"s, 130 w. I wasn't man enough for it. Let it go after a couple years.

mjp

Your Host
Founding member
Over 5000 posts
I'm not talking so much about brand snobbery as much as aesthetics (but I have brand snobbery too). The Peavy logo is just ugly to me, so I wouldn't want to stand in front of it. I would never know if it was decent gear because I wouldn't have ever tried it. It's not logical, it's just a weird aesthetic brain tick. When I was young, I bought almost exclusively Panasonic electronics because I liked they way they were designed. Not for any logical, rational reason.

It's not hard to make a decent logo though. Or an unoffensive one. I don't imagine millions of dollars or months of market research went into the Fender, Marshall, or Gibson logos (or the AMERICAN STYLE IPA?). They were probably sketched on napkins.

mjp

Your Host
Founding member
Over 5000 posts
I should have seen that, but I'm reading the new posts in reverse chronological order (is that reverse chronological, oldest first? I don't know) and I've been in bed for 36 hours with some kind of roller coaster body temperature disease, so I plead incompetence. I just plead incompetence in general.

Now I see what you mean, mjp. I was conflating logo aesthetics with brand snobbery. I totally agree with you. You've got to feel good brandishing or standing in front of your gear.

I wish I could put sentimentality away. That's why that Peavey logo looks good to me now. It's horsey, and jaggedy. I didn't love it then, but darn it, I do now....

New topic re Les Paul Juniors: One of my wife's best childhood girlfriend's dad has a '50s LPJr and Gibson amp of same year. Been under his bed for decades. He's had it since he was a kid (he's in his 70s now).
Over the years, during the infrequent instances I'd see him, I'd ask about it. I think if I had $5K, he'd sell both. Morbidly, I'm waiting for my wife's friend to just give them to me. But I suspect the other siblings wouldn't sanction that at all...

Another thing I agree with: LPJrs or Specials are Rock 'n' Roll machines!

mjp

Your Host
Founding member
Over 5000 posts
You'd have to see the condition. Sometimes being under a bed for 50 years is good for a guitar, sometimes it's not. For some reason those old Gibson amps don't have much value. No one really wants them. It's always cool to see a guitar/amp pair that started life together though.

You know it. That bedridden LPJr could need a hell of a lot of set-up work. Not that that is unsurmountable...but in my fantasies, it's in supreme playable condition right out of the case.

I'll try to get a pic and post it.

I forgot to mention: he took like one or 2 lessons, then quit. To my knowledge, no one has used it since. Something sad about an unplayed, lonely classic guitar...

mjp

Your Host
Founding member
Over 5000 posts
Some interesting stuff, but overall kind of a weird auction. That Ray Davies Flying V will probably get the highest bids. But buying something like that at an auction...with the 25% or whatever tacked on...ouch.