hello i'm vodka (1 Viewer)

vodka

Miss Take
also known as jen.

i'm a huge fan of charles bukowski and found this forum with good ol' google.

i hope to have some interesting talks.

Vodka is a damn good choice. So, since your taste for liquor is as good as for literature, welcome!

You'll be amazed, what well informed intelligent cool cats reside here!

HI,vODKA WERE DID YOU GET THAT HANDLE? shit caps lock,I was told about that once.stay around you will have a ball.

hey there guys. thanks for the warm welcome.

bukfan, lesee. i started with Love is a Dog From Hell. I've re-read that one a couple of times. Also, Betting on the Muse, Sifting Through the Madness for the Word, the Line, the Way, You Get So Alone at Times it Just Makes Sense and Books One Two and Three published posthumously. There's probably more, but I always read them and loan them out. I've also seen the documentary Born Into This and the movies Barfly and Factotum. I was pretty surprised at how well Dillon pulled off Bukowski, really. I know there's so much more to read and I think I really should start right at the beginning and work my way through. But that's why I'm here among all of you, to learn man to learn. ;)

roni and Wayne, my name, vodka originally came from vodkafamilywinston, of which i was registered on Craigslist and posted on their writingforum. Then I went to www.writingforums.com and shortened it to ms. vodka. After starting my own writing forum www.LiteraryMary.com, I shortened it even further to plain ol' vodka which is what I decided to use here. Less formalities and all that.

I'm going to take a look around now that I have a minute and get to know this place. I joined the minute I found you all because I was so excited to be among other Hank fans.

jen

Hi, jen. That's quite a handfull of his poetry books you've read. Great! Yes, Dillon wasn't too bad in Factotum and Born Into This is simply a must for any Buk fan. Simply a great docu! What about his novels and short story collections - have you read any of them?
Btw, I read your Buk thread at writingforums. Interesting to read what they thought of Buk's poem "So you want to be a writer"...
What kind of stuff do you like to write? Poems, short stories or novels?

Last edited by a moderator:
yah that was interesting.

i was moderating over there when i posted it and, in my opinion, the site went to shit after it was sold. that's why i left and started the new site. we're very new but we're picking up steam and our members seem to have a pretty good understanding of bukowski, which is oftentimes rare in a writing/lit site.

i have read the short stories which have appeared in the few books i mentioned. i keep meaning to pick up Post Office and read that and also Women i would like to read but also i keep getting reading assignments from professors which suck up my reading time. any of those which you'd recommend over the other as a first novel for me to read?

this place is a goldmine really, with the forum of rarities. i have a link to a story done by bukowski which someone set to a really cool cartoon that someone posted on LiteraryMary. i'll have to dig it up and check and see if it's already been posted here.

so very nice to meet you, by the way.

jen

I think Post Office would be a good place to start (it was also Buk's first novel). It's a great book. Women is also high on the list. So is Hollywood. Hollywood is about the making of Barfly and it's very funny. Well, that could be said of all his novels (except for Ham On Rye maybe) since humor is one of his trademarks. His last book, Pulp, I would save for last (many people thinks that Pulp is his worst novel).
Great idea to start your own site! I took a quick glance at it and I'll take a closer look later on. Is that really you on the photo? You look much younger than 33...

laughing. yah, that's really me. i'm not younger than 33 but i play one in my photo? okay, that's a stretch for wit.

i'm going to post a link on Mary for any bukowski fans who might benefit from the use of this forum. it's nice of you to take the time to take a look around.

i'll pick up post office next time i'm at Powells. or maybe i'll take a look on Amazon. thanks for the suggestion.

jen

Oh Bukfan, you old smoothie

And that's coming from you, mr. smoothie himself:D You know what they say: it takes one to know one...;) - Kidding aside, I wasn't trying to be smooth, I actually meant it, but I can see that it could be perceived that way...by you ;)

all this assuming i am so very gullible?

It's just Ninjerk (jerk among friends :)) who tries to be funny at my expense. Of course you're not gullible and of course I have'nt got any hidden agenda's...

ah, i like this forum.
I drink to all of you(thanks for the restock vodkaGirl).

Bongobill, where are you, roll us some spliff please, would you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back