Henry Rollins on Buk (1 Viewer)

nervas

more crickets than friends
I just read in another thread a line that mentioned Rollins growing out of his Bukowski interest, or something to the sort.

I have read several of Rollins books, and thought some of his early stuff was trying to be in the Bukowski vain.

Does anyone know of Rollins ever talking of Bukowski, critically or not? Rollins seems to be such an avid fan of people like Hemmingway, Faulkner, Thomas Wolfe, etc....However I have never heard him mention Bukowski? It almost seems intentional at times, like he doesn't want to be known as a Bukowski fan?

Any thoughts?

there's some talk on the subject in this thread, as well as a link to an interview with Matt Dillon and Rollins discussing Bukowski.

Thank you. I really need to get better at searching around this forum, before I post my repeated questions. I also can't believe I forgot about that interview with Dillon. I remember watching it and gathering from it Rollins was a fan. However after reading the thread you recommended I see how he kinda back peddeled on that one.

He doesn't really like Buk-maybe being a non drinker might have to do with it along with his generally grumpy demeanor.

He's a big fan of Selby though.

Yes, even if he liked Buks writing...the non-drinker self-righteousness shit would prevent him fom ever appreciating him fully. Too bad for Rollins...I'm sure he'll live a very long time.

Selby was a junky. I love his writing, but if Rollins hates Buk for the drinking then that would make him a hypocrite.

What Rollins hates is that he never did get past Buk as a guy that wrote about drinking and fucking. That is more his problem than Buks.

And yes, the first few Rollins are clearly written by a Buk Wanna-be.

Bill

I've never read anything by Rollins but every time someone mentions his poetry I can't help but think back to an article I read about ten or so years ago. I think the actual title of it was Why Henry Rollins Must Be Stopped and the gist was that Henry was just churning out book after book of shit poetry. I never felt compelled to read any of his stuff so I couldn't say whether or not I agreed with the article but I did find it entertaining.

because you can be fan of chinaski not bukowski.
as a writer he gave us good books but why he was pretending to be tough when the only reason he run from home after college was war simple he was a coward.
his fights in dark alleys and his hard women - all bollocks.
to be tough and street wise you just need to be,you simply can't become one because your's books say so.
but truly good writer and I respect that. no need to play tihis stupid game hank my fella.

I read a bit of Rollins and I have a lot of respect for him. I've even seen his spoken work twice. I think his first books were great but then he got really repetative and dreary. He had (or has) and interesting show, too.

as a writer he gave us good books but why he was pretending to be tough when the only reason he run from home after college was war simple he was a coward.
to be tough and street wise you just need to be,you simply can't become one because your's books say so.
but truly good writer and I respect that. no need to play tihis stupid game hank my fella.
Well, you're the expert. I guess that's that.

Are you sure you joined the right forum?

Perhaps you should read: "All The Assholes In The World And Mine."

Yes, I would say Rollins just doesn't get off reading about drunks and drinking. He despises drunks, and he does not hide his contempt for the way people act when intoxicated. However, I agree that a lot of his prose does remind me of Bukowski at times.

I worked with ROLLINS (he wants you to type it that way) at the LA County Art Museum back in the 1940's. He was a bastard back then, and would steal your lunch out of the employee refrigerator and then look at you all innocent, and say, "What? What sandwich?" when there were obviously sandwich crumbs all over his blazer.

but I haven't seen him in many years, so maybe he's changed.

I worked with ROLLINS (he wants you to type it that way) at the LA County Art Museum back in the 1940's. He was a bastard back then, and would steal your lunch out of the employee refrigerator and then look at you all innocent, and say, "What? What sandwich?" when there were obviously sandwich crumbs all over his blazer.

but I haven't seen him in many years, so maybe he's changed.

In the 40s?

ROLLINS is an uninteresting, self-important cunt, always has been. But that kid interviewing him is PUNK ROCK!

ROLLINS is trying his best to intimidate him, but the kid just stands there and asks, "So, are you selling out?"

Ha ha ha - I love that kid! I want him to be president. I take back my vote for Obama.

Don't know. Every time I go into a booth, I run into a woman who claims to be famous for a shirt stain -- calls herself Monica Lew*nsky (and she tries to give me a heads up on who to vote for). So a different lever gets pulled every time, in all directions. Up, down, left, right...until I can't figure out if I'm coming or going...left or right...

I'm pretty sure I went to high school with Henry Rollins. he's still there. I heard he won't leave until he makes the football team.

You left out "it with" - as in: "I heard he won't leave until he makes it with the football team."

But homoerotic ribbing aside, ROLLINS created an impossible persona to live up to. Which is why he's so funny now. He had an interview show on some cable channel (has? Is it still on?) and the thing was painful to watch. He wants to come across as an intellectual prison gang leader or something, but he's just a pussycat.

Or a tame lion.

But he's DIY, and not a lazy man by any stretch, so he's punk, all the way through.

I don't know much about Rollins, but I do know that his books for sale where I work, are currently priced at $2.oo American, and they are NOT moving. No One seems to care...:(

is ob*ma punk? per definition here...
Not sure what "per definition here" means, or who "ob*ma" is, but if you mean the U.S. President, I would hazard a guess that there are no punk U.S. politicians, here there or anywhere. The two are mutually exclusive.

Nelson Mandella? Sure. Look at him, he's all punk.
Lech Walesa? Absolutely. As punk as they come.

Any U.S. politician? No. You would have to go back a way. John Adams was punk. But his contemporary Thomas Jefferson? No.

You might think Kennedy or Clinton was punk, but no, they were not. Not even close (but George Clinton? Yes!).

For an example of how politics kills punk, see Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was 100% punk the day he was elected (the only governor who could have possibly been more punk was that stripper who ran, but she didn't get enough votes), but now he is merely a politician.

Get it yet?

Yeah too bad That Clinton wasn't on the ticket.
Just think we could've had a democracy with a Parliament.
A Phunky punk. And think how we could've threaten all those others with Our
Sorry I got a bit carried away.:D

Get it yet?
Punk is an attitude, if that's what you mean by "Get it yet?"

However, by my definition of punk (and some others, too), there were quite a few president's who wear that moniker well: Nixon, Dwight D., and a laundry list more...

Now, as per your, er, definition, think George Washington, Teddy Roosevelt.

Yikes, gotta go, here comes the cutlass!!!!

;)

You're confusing "punk" with "asshole."

Who's been a "punk asshole"?

Sammytown of Fang has been one.
Killing your girlfriend high on coke and being the singer in a punk band defines someone as a punkasshole.

O.K. maybe Sid Viscious was a punkasshole, too, but at least he didn't go for politics.

Didn't mean to change the subject, just one side effect.

You're confusing "punk" with "asshole."

:eek:

Agreed.

But Nixon, while he had some good qualities and did some good things (China), was certainly a punk and an asshole. Collectively.

To conclude this 20,000 word dissertation (minus 19,975 words), Nixon wasn't punk, again, he just happened to be one -- unfortunately, on a world stage.

Trust me. :eek::eek::eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back