Hostage (Audio) (1 Viewer)

HenryChinaski

Founding member
LOL

this had to be by far the funniest damn reading i've ever heard.

"BUKOWSKI READ YOUR DAMN POEMS! ITS MY SEVEN DOLLARS AND I WANNA HEAR SOME POEMS!"

"You paid seven dollars, I got in free."

good reading.

That reminds me of an old Stooges bootleg. People are pelting the stage with bottles and garbage, you can actually hear things hitting the instruments and stage - a genuine Detroit carnage scene - and Iggy says, "You paid five bucks, but I'm making ten thousand baby...so screw ya! Can you feel that beat?"

See, Iggy was a beat poet too. ;)

mjp said:
That reminds me of an old Stooges bootleg. People are pelting the stage with bottles and garbage, you can actually hear things hitting the instruments and stage - a genuine Detroit carnage scene - and Iggy says, "You paid five bucks, but I'm making ten thousand baby...so screw ya! Can you feel that beat?"

See, Iggy was a beat poet too. ;)
that line is from METALLIC K.O., which was actually a legitimate release on some import label. Supposedly, it was a document of The Stooges last show at the Michigan Palace, where Iggy and the boys were under siege by a biker gang armed with various pieces of trash. Iggy elaborates further in his classic I NEED MORE bio. CHARLES BUKOWSKI READS HIS POETRY has some pretty good lines also; check out his comments after reading "Love, he said".

I like it when Buk threatens people. "Hey man, I got my steeeeel." He could hold his own against a room full of drunks like no one.

funny story- this girl i lived with and grew to hate (REALLY hate) gave me hostage for my birthday, because she knew i liked Bukowski. i guess i kind of blocked out everything about her, because I just realized a few days ago that i still had this when i came across it in a CD binder of music i don't really listen to much anymore. i listened to it for the first time, and i was surprised how high bukowski's voice was. i always imagined him to have a deep, gravelly voice, not a nasally voice.

I love his voice. I love his tune. I love his Rhythm!

btw, after I got the HOSTAGE-CD some 8 years ago, I immediately copied it to my computer, making different tracks out of the one.
So, I may violate some copyright, offering this to you guys, but considering, that this wasn't an official recording anyway then (and there are chances - given the good quality - it has been mastered from either Montforts or Kaesmayrs recording, both of which will sure not sue me as long as I don't do business with it), I'd offer to you this copy with seperated tracks.
The track-list is found in the added pic. I only take the cost for copy and shipping. Or maybe I'll put it on the web for download for a day or so.

buk-hostage.jpg

Very good idea, roni! - It's a problem the reading only has one track...

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it, too. To get around the one-track deal, I taped it and wrote down all the titles for times when I want to zero in on a certain poem, usually to play for someone else. I still play the CD to get me through the dishwashing and other chores, which is when I usually listen to Buk or music.

'Giving A Poetry Reading' is 'a poetry reading' from Dangling...

"I believe in Evil" is just a monologue, or a little ramble between poems.

Tour is "magical mystery tour", published as a broadside/birthday greeting in 2000 and collected in Pleasures... (may be altered :aerb:)

Edit: Posts re Hostage moved to an existing thread.

Last edited:
Gracias gracias gracias.

Tour is "magical mystery tour", published as a broadside/birthday greeting in 2000 and collected in Pleasures... (may be altered :aerb:)
Well, that validates the feeling I've always had that Bukowski never would have named a poem magical mystery tour. :\

From the dvd (the last straw):

Jam
What have I seen?
Trouble
Eating The Father
Competition
The Secret Of My Endurance
On The Hustle
I'm A Reasonable Man
The Beast
Hemingway
Fan Letter