hot water music first edition- question (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
how many of these were published with the pink corduroy spine? I had thought all 750 of them were, but i've come across a couple for sale (one on eBay and one on abe) that claim to be firsts with the color title page and the 1/750 colophon (unnumbered, of course), even though they have black spines. Did they run out of pink corduroy at some point in the run of 750, or was there another run of 750 with the black binding?

Hi,
GReat question. It is possible that he ran out of the pink. Another possiblilty is that these could be mis-listed by the seller. I notice, for example, that Arundel Bookstore lists all Bukowski books as first edition, later printing. Some other sellers may consider these a first edition, even though they are not. Did they say that the title page was in color, or did you see it?

Personally, I have not seen any black backstrip firsts of this title, but maybe others have?

BIll

i didn't see it, but here are the links:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...searchurl=y=0&tn=hot+water+music&x=0&sortby=1
-seems expensive for the condition he describes. i could see this being a special item if only a few were printed with black spines, but he doesn't make reference to any of that.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/21...221QQitemZ150099874184QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
-they even reference krumhansl's entry for the pink corduroy spine version in their description.

ps- i was just in arundel books over the weekend. they have a ton of black sparrow stuff there that i had fun looking at. i did find a later printing hardcover of burning in water drowning in flame inexplicably priced at $75, though. i mean, i know it's rare in hardcover, but it can't be that rare.

intersting.

The first listing states that Hot Water Music was Buk's first novel.....

Maybe Aaron knows about this variant binding?

BIll

ps- i was just in arundel books over the weekend. they have a ton of black sparrow stuff there that i had fun looking at. i did find a later printing hardcover of burning in water drowning in flame inexplicably priced at $75, though. i mean, i know it's rare in hardcover, but it can't be that rare.

Rare as a real word has all but lost meaning. 750 copies of a first edition cannot really be called RARE. Arundel trying to sell a 27th printing of a black sparrow HB book for $75 seems crazy. It is only rare if you consider an edition of possibly 10,000 copies rare. In the many, many printings that this book has seen, how many copies are out there? Now the first HB trade of this book is rare....

BIll

how many of these were published with the pink corduroy spine?

So spines huh? Well, I too have a question about spines. I have a hardcover
7th printing of Hollywood and the spine is white. I thought that only the firsts had white backstrips? And all later printings were black.

Arundel trying to sell a 27th printing of a black sparrow HB book for $75 seems crazy.

A few weeks ago I was looking up some stuff on ABE and came across a listing for a later printing (if I remember correctly it was a fourteenth printing) of "Post Office" for $250. It was the lowest price listed for any BSP hardcover of this title. The listing is gone now so I'm guessing that it might have sold. I have a fortieth printing hardcover in perfect condition. Think I could get $150 for it?

I have a first edition of Hot Water Music and the spine is black.
Aarons work tells us that there were 30 copies with black cloth back strips made with the Paget Press imprint.
I think there were quite a few BSP 1st editions (of the 780) that had black cloth also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back