How should you say "Buk"? (1 Viewer)

How Bukowski sometimes referred to himself in his stories and probably what some people called him. I was always under presumption it was pronounced buck but after reading some through this forum I've noticed people refere to him as "Buke" presumed it pronounced buke.

Buck
or
Buke?

And if you hear him say his name, he pronounces it "Charles Buke-cow-ski".

For example

and there is a guy on Public Radio DelMarVa (Delaware's National Public Radio) named Bill Bukowski and he pronounces it Byook-cow-ski.

I suppose it is one of those names that can be pronounced a few ways, but Buk certainly pronounced it Buck-cow-ski.

Bill

I suppose it is one of those names that can be pronounced a few ways, but Buk certainly pronounced it Buck-cow-ski.
i've heard a female interviewer with a german sounding accent pronounce his name Book-kov-ski. notice how the COW turns to a KOV. is that the german pronounciation? Roni!

yes it is.
'Buk' sounds like 'book' and 'kow' like 'koff' (not like 'cow').

(you can hear the german pronounciation of his name several times from different people.)

Reading this thread doesn't completely clear this pronounciation issue. From what's I'm reading, when pronouning his full last name, it was "Buck-cow-ski," but when pronouncing the abbreviated form, it was "Buke." Have I got it?

yes it is.
'Buk' sounds like 'book' and 'kow' like 'koff' (not like 'cow').

(you can hear the german pronounciation of his name several times from different people.)

cheers, roni. i love it. i can hear him laughing from the grave. "koff"

Reading this thread doesn't completely clear this pronounciation issue. From what's I'm reading, when pronouning his full last name, it was "Buck-cow-ski," but when pronouncing the abbreviated form, it was "Buke." Have I got it?

i believe it's buke, abbreviated or otherwise.

let that be.

you have you.

and i have me

a belly full of whiskey;)

I've always thought Buke rhymed more closely with Luke than with puke... the u is not quite as long as in puke. Pe-you-ck vs Loo-ck vs Beau-ck ... sort of like how Mickey Rourke says "Beautiful" to the barking dog in Barfly :D

But here's another sound clip of Bukowski telling us himself:

buke.mp3

I've always thought Buke rhymed more closely with Luke than with puke...

Yup, that's how I've always pronounced it. But then again, I'm the guy who thinks that ü sound like uh, so you should probably assume that anything that I say is probably wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
How Bukowski sometimes referred to himself in his stories and probably what some people called him. I was always under presumption it was pronounced buck but after reading some through this forum I've noticed people refere to him as "Buke" presumed it pronounced buke.

Buck
or
Buke?

no man; thats wrong.
Buk is pronounced like the word "boo" but with a K at the end.

LOL! Very good point. I was in the Air Force with guys from So Cal, Chicago, and Wisconsin. Wisconsin might be closer to Chicago but the way the pronounce some words is like they're from another country. "Rags" one of the guys from like Madison said "rags" and I had to make him repeat it like 3 times it was so foriegn sounding. It was almost like the way Brad Pitt said "dogs" in the movie he's speaking Pikey. The world is big and there a lot of ways to look at things and say them.

I'm waiting to hear some trailblazer sayBaykowski.

At the last half of that link they've screwed with the real clip so it's pure jibberish, the first 40 secs covers the dawgs or dogs.

... Wisconsin might be closer to Chicago but the way the pronounce some words is like they're from another country.

all I know of Wisconsin is, that the two dudes from 'Dogma' were abandoned there.
(or does this belong to the 'movie-thread'?)

... and a Bostonian.

a guy from Boston once taught me to properly say (in New-English-accent):

"I parked the car in Harvard Yard."
[something like: "I paaak'd the caaa in Haaa'va'yaaaad." - that right?]

Fuck it. For now on I'm referring to him as buck-owls-guy (minus my Philly accent that for some reason is mistaken as russian at times [by philadelphians mind you] probably because I pronounce my words with clarity)

people,
PLEASE.

being polish, i would appreciate him being called BOOK-OV-SKI.
that is how his real last name is pronounced. although im sure he didnt have much to do with his polish roots :/ him being all germanized and all.

seems like his drinking may have been rooted in the polish XD HAHAAAA

[...] that is how his real last name is pronounced [...] being all germanized and all
same pronounciation in german - so what!
seems like his drinking may have been rooted in the polish

I ain't sure now: was this drunkard grandfather from the paternal or the maternal side?

Anyhow, I know a lot of polish girls here in my hometown and we're going along together very well. But most of them aren't big drinkers. Well, Some are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back