Howdy Podna's. (1 Viewer)

F

futureactor

My name is Bob and I am here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan right now.
I don't feel smart enough to be included as a literary fan as I have not read one book in my life.
Ya see, reading has bored me since I was a kid. Everytime I picked up a book my mind would wander and I would daydream of something else. The only things I have read to some degree is The Holy Bible, Articles on Van Halen, and and books on acting.
I dropped out of high School at 17 (how stupid is that) to travel around the U.S. Over the course of 13 years I held 70 different menial jobs, and another 20 or so under the table gigs.
I have been broke in Chicago, New Haven, Little Rock, Ft Meyers, Key West, Charlston, Las Vegas, San Deigo, L.A., Bellingham, and the list goes on.
I have had enough experience for at least two lifetimes, and if I knew how to write It could get interesting.
I did however get my G.E.D. in 1988 before my original High School class graduated.
In those 13 unsettled years I was an alcoholic, drug user, thief, Hard worker, lover of women, very few, but hey it counts.
I was getting tired of blowing around in the wind, 13 years of it will change your attitude, so I moved to Michigan, met my wife, started going to school to do something that I really didn't want to do.....Airplane Mechanic. But I had to put myself in a position to make better than a menial wage.
Then I hurt my back so school and working were out.
My wife decided to go to school to get her BSN in nursing (she graduates in 08').
For the last 3 1/2 years I have been a rock doing the stay-at-home dad thing. I am the stepdad of 3, and my son is 4 years old.
My years before I was married have had reprecussions and I have not had a drivers liscence for years, it has to do with having breathalizers installed and sending away the results every month. It is to expesive for me since I live in the boonies and I'm in a catch 22 situation. I live 25 miles from town and cannot work since I would risk going to jail, and I cannot get my liscence since I don't make any money.
There are upsides to where I am in life though. I do not get drunk anymore and haven't used any type of drugs in 5 years, and I quit smoking.
The whole being stuck is wearing me down though.
I mentioned before that I never cared for reading, but I want to be a good reader and be able to get the full meaning of stuff.
Also I have been contemplating moving to Los Angeles to persue my acting need, now being older and knowing what to avoid I think I could make a dent in the entertainment field.
I would be content with Taking the bus, subway, Metro, and riding a bicycle around L.A., living in a modest apartment or room, taking an acting class and having a part-time job.
I need to do something. I was an extra in some movies in the 90's, Even though it is the bottom of the totum pole I never had more energy and enthusiasm, and was never happier than when I was on the set of a movie.

Hi,
This is the wrong forum, maybe to find out about getting intot the acting field. Since you said that you have never read, Bukowski, I'm curious why you think that this would be the right forum to ask general life-questions.

Also, if anyone on any forum knew how to make it as an actor, they would be doing it, and NOT giving out that advice. I have friends that are actors and have made a good living at it. I'm not sure how age helps. Hollywood loves youth...

Bill

dude follow your acting dream, we need waiters here in Hollywood!

Best thing to do is DTB and come to LA -- its all waiting for you.

But this is just my opinion.

I have read some of his poems, what book should I start with?

DTB= Drop the bullshit?

I'm to heavy to be a waiter right now, maybe a bouncer.

DTB= Drop the bullshit?

Are you taking meds? If so which ones? They can cause weight gains.

Just my opinion, not meaning to offend you.

DTB= Drop the bullshit?

And another thought -- buk has a famous saying, "Don't Try", meaning go out and do it!

Just a thought.

hahaha.

DTB: Don't Try Bukowski!

Ditch the bitch?

You guys are creative, actually it is "Don't Try - Bukowski" you know, on his grave, but ditch the bitch is good, maybe dump the bitch is better. I think Tom has a saying like that.

Anyway, DTB

Later

I checked the Northern Michigan University Library, and they have no books by Bukowski.
I'll have to check the Public Library, but I have a $25 fine, can you believe they sent it to a collection agency.

I'll have to check the Public Library, but I have a $25 fine, can you believe they sent it to a collection agency.
Well that settles it then. You should come to Los Angeles as soon as possible. Those fucking library coppers will never track you down here, mac!

Hurry up.

We need more waiters.

yea man, they would never find you here! And some members may have a safe house to hide you from the library cops.

I just had a vision of me arriving in L.A. at the Downtown Greyhound station, Stepping out with a chiffon scarf around my neck, Ray Ban's, and a cigarette holder between my thumb and index finger palm up.:D

"Where's my Welcome Wagon?"

See if this vision turns out to be more prophetic: "Here's your apron and your pepper grinder. The YMCA is downtown, take the 140 bus, transfer to the 14 at Wilshire, then hitchhike the last mile to San Pedro Street. You have four tables waiting, get to work."

You gotta love the mentality that says "I want to be a famous Writer", "Famous Actor". "Rock Star". It is not the writing, acting or music that drives many people, but the FAME. That is exactly why most people will not make it. You have to love what you are doing and have to be willing to do it even if you go broke doing it. I mean, if you want to move to hollywood to be an actor, you should already have acting under your belt, no? If you love acting, then you HAVE to be willing to wait tables and play shitty parts in local theatre productions. If you expect (like some people do), that you are going to get off the bus and get a starring role in a major (or minor movie for that matter), they you are dillusioinal.

Everyone wants the glory without doing any of the work....

Bill

Also I have been contemplating moving to Los Angeles to persue my acting need, now being older and knowing what to avoid I think I could make a dent in the entertainment field.
I would be content with Taking the bus, subway, Metro, and riding a bicycle around L.A., living in a modest apartment or room, taking an acting class and having a part-time job.

EXACTLY.......

See if this vision turns out to be more prophetic: "Here's your apron and your pepper grinder. The YMCA is downtown, take the 140 bus, transfer to the 14 at Wilshire, then hitchhike the last mile to San Pedro Street. You have four tables waiting, get to work."

That funny and probably true.
Isn't the waiter/actor thing played out though? I thought I see myself as a bouncer for a bar or club at night to free up my days. To me that makes more sense.

You gotta love the mentality that says "I want to be a famous Writer", "Famous Actor". "Rock Star". It is not the writing, acting or music that drives many people, but the FAME. That is exactly why most people will not make it. You have to love what you are doing and have to be willing to do it even if you go broke doing it. I mean, if you want to move to hollywood to be an actor, you should already have acting under your belt, no? If you love acting, then you HAVE to be willing to wait tables and play shitty parts in local theatre productions. If you expect (like some people do), that you are going to get off the bus and get a starring role in a major (or minor movie for that matter), they you are dillusioinal.

Everyone wants the glory without doing any of the work....

Bill

I don't care about the Glory. I would be happy actually learning the skill of acting. Some people are naturals, like tailors call some guys "Hangers" because of the way any suit or type of clothing looks good on them, it just is.

I am fascinated with learning the craft of acting. Obviously nobody got the whole getting-off-the-bus-where's-my-fame cliche.

I was out there in the early 90's for 2 weeks, but I didn't know what I wanted. I arrived with $150, got a room at the Western/Garfield hotel on Hollywood and Western. The first day I was there I walked all the way up Hollywood Blvd putting in aplications. I was looking for a place that would hire me that day, and it ended up being the Sunset car wash. That's a long walk. That wasn't enough money, so I applied at the Panteges Theatre as an Usher at night.
There were to many drug dealers on the way home between cashing my check and paying my rent though.
That's 10 years ago. I didn't have focus.

Don't Be A Fool

I don't think you are being truthful with yourself. Hollywood would chew you up and spit you out. Most all people that want fame are not willing to pay the price for fame. Everybody says they will pay the price, but to most these are just words. Paying the price can be anything from ditching your family to selling your soul to everything in in-between, and for what. Is fame going to make the sky any more blue or water any more sweet or the sun any warmer on your face?

At a certain age you want inter-peace. It has often been said that when you are young you want fame, when you are middle age you want money, and when you are old you just want peace of mind. Deep thoughts, very true and as the grim reaper approached you tend to look back on everything you have done and ask what is it all about. Well it is all about having an impact on people. Most acting is easily forgotten, though with recording technology it stays with us a little longer, but words, they stay with us forever. Reading words that touch your soul, that touch your heart and that touch your mind. Reading words that make your day a little better, that make your spirits a little stronger, that make your eyes a little more insightful.

Take care of your family, take care of yourself. Don't be a fool.

Last edited by a moderator:

my thoughts exactly

not a reader, a writer,
or publisher
just fell out of cyber-blue
into the bukowski forums
how?...why?..
well, welcome aboard anyhow
congrats on kicking the booze, drugs,
and most of all cigs
i live in so cal, born here
we've got plenty of dreamers here
mostly from south of the border
feel free to join the l.a. rat race
but if i were you (glad i'm not)
i'd stay in michigan and be a good spouse/parent
it's fucking expensive out here

sell home loans over the phone. I have a TON of actor friends that do this and make nice money like close to a 100,000 grand a year. Affords them the ability to do their thing in the day and work 4 hrs at night 5-9p......this aint no infommercial HOLMES!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back