• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

I don't get it (1 Viewer)

ROC

It is what it is
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=320156226407&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:BIDN

Two things...

There's exactly the same book available from ABE for $250.
It always amazes me that people get so excited about an ebay auction.

And secondly...
That bidders list looks awfully suspicious to me.
Seems too coincidental that nearly all the bidders have the same name structure... (letter)***(letter).

And I've seen this before... where the *** bids the item up but does not actually win... what looks like a legitimate bidder wins... and pays much more than they should have.

Two things...

There's exactly the same book available from ABE for $250.
It always amazes me that people get so excited about an ebay auction.

That happens quite often on ebay... part of the mindset that "I placed a bid on it so it's mine."

That bidders list looks awfully suspicious to me.
Seems too coincidental that nearly all the bidders have the same name structure... (letter)***(letter).

And I've seen this before... where the *** bids the item up but does not actually win... what looks like a legitimate bidder wins... and pays much more than they should have.

I think this is ebays new way of listing Bidder 1, Bidder 2 and so on. It's the first and last letters of the bidders user-names. Only the high bidders user-name is shown in full. Yeah, I know, pretty stupid.

Only the high bidders user-name is shown in full. Yeah, I know, pretty stupid.

If that is the case then I'm the one who's pretty stoopid!

But it must only be for items above a certain price.
I'm involved in a few other auctions and I can 'see' all the other bidders.

Ah ebay...I hate you but I'd hate to see you gone.

From the link you provided:

eBay has changed how bid history information is displayed for higher-priced items. To help keep the eBay community safe, enhance bidder privacy, and protect our members from fraudulent emails, only you and the seller of the item can view your User ID in bid history. Other members will see anonymous names.

I say we all sneak up on eBay when it's asleep and roll it for all the money it has in its pocket. Anyone in with me?

This is not to protect people on ebay and keep the community safe, it is more to keep people from contacting lower bidders and trying to sell them similar items. This can be a scam to the community, but the real reason that ebay cares is because they are being cut out of the deal and don't make money on the sale. Given everything that we know it is clear that ebay could care less about keeping their members safe.

If you don't believe me try to have a fraudulent auction shut down. It is a complete waste of time.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back