I have some random questions. (1 Viewer)

E

ExPresidents

1. Buk started writing poetry at 35, yet Pleasures of the Damned says from 1951 on. Why is this? Are these the uncollected ones?

2. I've read on several websites that Catullus is one of his major influences but I've never read any reference to him by Buk (albeit I have not read all of Buk's work). Did he really like him?

3. Was John Fante left-handed? (I assume this because I just read 1933 Was A Bad Year.)

...I know these are fuckin retarded and completely peripatetic. Thanks.

1. Bukowski wrote some poems before he turned 35. The story goes that he really started writing in earnest around 35, sometime after a stay in hospital with a bleeding ulcer which was as near to a near death experience as he wanted to get. See the timeline for more. The 35 thing is just one of many 'facts' used in the simplified bios that tend to appear along with his work.

2. Yes I believe he did like Catullus. He certainly mentioned him in a poem or two.

3. Pass.

Bukowski sent a group of poems to a little mag in Nov. 1945 -"The Lie," "Tocsin" or "No Wonder Plays Are the Way They Are", among others- and those are the earliest ones that I know of right now. He might have had some poetry in Write in 1940, but no one knows that for sure.

2. I've read on several websites that Catullus is one of his major influences but I've never read any reference to him by Buk (albeit I have not read all of Buk's work). Did he really like him?
Read "To the Whore Who Took My Poems."

1. Pittsburgh Pirates second baseman Bill Mazeroski.

2. It is the uppermost layer of the atmosphere and begins at 480km above the Earth.

3. Dried beans, peas, and chick peas for example.

Dom Molise's description of The Arm hit too close to home. It just gave me this strong notion that Fante himself was lefty, and, like other lefties, thought incessantly about it.

I could be just seeing things that aren't there, though.

Dear teacher, I have a question: How long did Bukowski go to creative writing class for? Was it creative writing or simply journalism? I heard it was 2 years....read Linda Buuuukaaaaaaski interview and she said 2 years.

I wonder who was in that class with him, what they made of him, or what sort of writing he produced then. Interesting I suppose only to the pedant and research...both of a similar breed I imagine (don't point any fingers. I'm just curious.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back