i just had to speak french with a customer service person from a french website (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
turns out i don't speak french too well anymore. at least i didn't have to ask her if she spoke english.

Same here.

I spoke French in the 80ties but
never practise it anymore.
My German is also getting worse every day.
My English is bad as well.
What's left? Dutch, which nobody speaks.
Next week I'm going to Quebec, what's next.

Dutch is connected to German strangely. A lot of words are the same or at least you can figure them out easily. Sometimes you have a row and think, he, it's quite clear but then every fifth or sixth word comes from a completely other planet and you are back at the beginning :)

I had French in school but never practiced it since then. It leaves fast, of course. Est-ce que je peux aller au toilet? (correct?) I used that one every day at school out of boredom. To go smoke a cigarette.

Last edited by a moderator:
turns out i don't speak french too well anymore. at least i didn't have to ask her if she spoke english.

hello Jordan, I can help here ...
can do French best, then English and so so Spanish.;)

and yes Ponder, you'll need French here but French Canadian
nearly another language , but I'll trade for Dutch lessons.

a friend of mine, who lived in Amsterdam for a couple of years and worked for HP there, once said - and i think this applies to be the case: "Dutch is a kind of Mickey-Mouse-language." - maybe you'll have to be a native german-speaker to feel so. but i can see the point.
;-))

Dutch is connected to German strangely. A lot of words are the same or at least you can figure them out easily.

The same goes for Danish. It's related to German and Dutch (and of course to the other Scandinavian languages-Swedish and Norwegian). Many words are the same, or almost the same, so in many cases you can figure out what a German/Dutch text is about. All three languages belongs to the Germanic languages group...

I had German in school for four years, but when you rarely have a chance to use it, then you forget a lot. English, on the other hand, is easier to maintain because there's so many English/American movies on TV, not to mention the internet - and of course we all read Buk in English too...;)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was about 5, my Dad taught me how to sing Frere Jacques.

Although this comprises about 50% of my French vocabulary,
I'm willing to tutor students in the other 50%

Reasonable rates.
Flexible hours.
Contact me.

NON !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back